Sparky

Trailer talk....

Sparky

I'm in the market for a new trailer and my plan is to go all aluminum. I'm leaning towards the 6x12 version of the one in the pics. Anyone here have this brand? Pro's..cons??

How well do the aluminum floors hold up?

Thanks for any input you can offer.

Mike....

image.png

image.jpeg

• Like 4

JPWH

I was looking at them last year and for a little more I would get a bi fold gate.

• Like 4

SPINJIM

I just finished research aluminum trailers.   I like the Aluma brand because they have a heavy duty model that will carry more weight (4 tractors).   I was going to get 72" wide deck, until I realized that some WHs are 37 to 38" wide (WITHOUT WHEEL WEIGHTS).  If I want to carry 2 WHs side by side, it's going to be tight.  So I started to look at 78" wide beds x 123" long with the side rails just like shown in your pictures.    So it depends on how much you want to haul.   I haven't decided to buy yet because of the $3000 price tag, and a tight budget right now.

After talking to other owners of Aluminum trailers, I think it's the way to go.    An older gentleman told me he can move his trailer more easily by hand.   The Al. trailers tend to be about 300 lbs. lighter than a comparable size steel trailer.   That leaves capacity for another Wheel Horse.   Good trailers, and more expensive than steel, but will last longer.

Jim

• Like 6

squonk

If I was a high roller like you Sparks I'd already have one. :) :teasing-poke: In all seriousness (if that's even possible) :rolleyes: I was going to save up and buy one just like you pictured.  But between not needing a trailer no more than 4 times a year and and a good deal on a steel one that popped up on CL, I got a 6 X 10 for $900. :banana-jumprope:

Edited by squonk
  • Like 4

Sparky
1 hour ago, SPINJIM said:

I was going to get 72" wide deck, until I realized that some WHs are 37 to 38" wide (WITHOUT WHEEL WEIGHTS).  If I want to carry 2 WHs side by side, it's going to be tight.  So I started to look at 78" wide beds x 123" long with the side rails just like shown in your pictures.    So it depends on how much you want to haul.   

Good point! My current trailer is 6'6" wide,

So much to consider. 

Mine....

• Like 3

953 nut

:twocents-02cents:      If you go with an aluminum deck be sure to put down some anti-slip tape, they get slicker than snot with the slightest amount of moisture.

• Like 3

squonk

Another advantage of an aluminum trailer over a traditional black metal one:

BLACK METAL TRAILERS GET HOT IN THE SUN!!!!!! :bitch::angry-tappingfoot::angry-screaming:

• Like 1

mmmmmdonuts

I agree about the deck. They are extremely slippery when wet. The other thing I don't like is if something breaks or you want to weld something on (d ring) it is much more challenging to weld aluminum than it is steel. 

Otherwise I would love an aluminum trailer. 

Edited by mmmmmdonuts
  • Like 2

slammer302

I know light weight can be nice for moving around but I hate how they bounce around driving down the road. My trailer is steel with aluminum floor. Pulls good down the road.

1497210245957220025046.jpg

Edited by slammer302
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

I have heard from folks that a trailer with the 1 piece fold up ramp tend to be a lot of wind drag while going down the road.

• Like 1

Digger 66

Have it clear-coated if you go with the Aluminum one .

rmaynard

I just put Firestone Rite-Ride air lifts on the rear suspension of my Tacoma. My 6 x 12 foot all steal trailer with 2 x 8 pressure treated decking without a load is heavy enough to drop the rear of the truck an inch before I even load a tractor. I have always been creative when placing my load to level it out, but I got tired of that. An aluminum trailer would solve much of that problem.

With less weight, and actually stronger than steel construction, I wouldn't hesitate to get one if money were not an issue. But it is...

I don't know anyone that has one, but I have seen them at the dealer and it's true, they are very easy to move around without help.

• Like 1

whfan74

I see a ton of them around here.  They are manufactured just 20 minutes from my place.  Why don't you just come on out and buy factory direct?!?!?  😀  I have been hoping to grab one in the future as well.  Thinking it will be a good investment.

stevebo

Haven't you seen the Chevy truck commercial about how "FORD" tough the aluminum trucks are? LOL 

I used to own a worthington all aluminum boat trailer and loved it. Very lightweight.. Can't go wrong with aluminum for a landscape trailer if your looking for a 6x12'.

• Like 1

Ken B
10 hours ago, stevebo said:

Haven't you seen the Chevy truck commercial about how "FORD" tough the aluminum trucks are? LOL 

I used to own a worthington all aluminum boat trailer and loved it. Very lightweight.. Can't go wrong with aluminum for a landscape trailer if your looking for a 6x12'.

Keep an eye on the rockers of that green machine Steve, you are a little over due for them turning to dust...:ychain:

• Like 2

bmsgaffer
On 6/11/2017 at 2:07 PM, squonk said:

Another advantage of an aluminum trailer over a traditional black metal one:

BLACK METAL TRAILERS GET HOT IN THE SUN!!!!!! :bitch::angry-tappingfoot::angry-screaming:

Black metal trailers get hot themselves, aluminum trailers act a bit like a mirror and burn your face off instead...

On 6/11/2017 at 5:29 PM, KC9KAS said:

I have heard from folks that a trailer with the 1 piece fold up ramp tend to be a lot of wind drag while going down the road.

Very much so. 

I have a 2016 Aluma Trailer, 5x8. I LOVE it. It is a small lighter duty one for hauling around with my car (no HD axle on it), but it is built tough. It only weighs about 360lbs. I can push it around the yard with ease. 

Things to note from towing with it for a year and a half or so:

- If you have any metal parts loaded on, put down a rubber truck mat or piece of thin wood first. The metal rubbing will put big divots in the soft aluminum deck. 

- The bifold gate is GREAT for wind load, but on my trailer at least it is a bit shorter than I would like it. 

- It tows and backs up great. Yes it bounces around when unloaded, but my old steel one did when it was empty too. 

- As I stated above, the trailer itself does not get that hot in the sun, but when you stand on or near it you feel like you are ON the face of the sun. 

- I dont like how they have the rear gate support arms. They use hairpin clips, which arent terrible, but then the arms dont store in place when your fold the gate down, so you have to remove them and store them somewhere. 

Would I do it again? In a heartbeat. When I get a truck again, I will probably save up for a bigger version but they are pricey. 

58d8a06139de1_2017-03-2520_47_32.thumb.jpg.724db02ddc52c8700728c375ea88eea6.jpg58d8a05521527_2017-03-2520_47_43.thumb.jpg.2cf173e9796272915bcaf0db746015d7.jpg5899356a274f3_2017-02-0616_59_12.thumb.jpg.32386c27732c8851996840e9fbc021f1.jpg

2016-07-14_17_36_06.thumb.jpg.8cbd04f080b17b90b3b67e859f994455.jpg2016-12-06_16_31_11.thumb.jpg.2ed800cfccf87523fc35cfb1778f5c27.jpg578797cfa85a9_2016-06-1116.36.22_hghlt.thumb.jpg.6eadd2727ac9c5c408e630ad9eca8c56.jpg

• Like 5

Sparky

Ok, lots to think about, thanks guys! I'm going on travel for work so the trailer hunt is on temporary hold.

Mike....

stevebo
2 hours ago, Sparky said:

Ok, lots to think about, thanks guys! I'm going on travel for work so the trailer hunt is on temporary hold.

Mike....

Don't worry Mike I have been looking for you... I lovehelping other people spend they're money...  

• Like 5

Sparky
18 hours ago, stevebo said:

Don't worry Mike I have been looking for you... I lovehelping other people spend they're money...  

Perfect!!! @stevebo it needs to be 6' plus wide and 12' long. If ya find one while I'm in Hawaii just pay for it....Ill pay ya when I get back, honest 🙄 !

When I pick it up try to have that 854 tied down secure enough to make it back to my place 😎 .

Mike.....

• Like 4

Stormin

One of the things that intrigues me about the trailers you lads have over there, is how far back the axle is.  Single axle trailers over here tend to have the axle just back of centre. I suppose if you have a big pickup truck, the weight on the front of the trailer will be being carried on the truck.

Photo's are of my twin axle 12' x  6'-6" trailer rated for 3 ton. I can get four tractors on with a bit of space for other items.  59738f6b01f7d_2002-01-0100_00_42.jpg.33170f11837e98c5812ba319f7cd3222.jpg

59738f634a017_2002-01-0100_00.24-Copy.jpg.3d277bf2f4ad2fa55386f81c651f0ba5.jpg

• Like 4

shallowwatersailor
41 minutes ago, Stormin said:

One of the things that intrigues me about the trailers you lads have over there, is how far back the axle is.  Single axle trailers over here tend to have the axle just back of centre. I suppose if you have a big pickup truck, the weight on the front of the trailer will be being carried on the truck.

Photo's are of my twin axle 12' x  6'-6" trailer rated for 3 ton. I can get four tractors on with a bit of space for other items.  59738f6b01f7d_2002-01-0100_00_42.jpg.33170f11837e98c5812ba319f7cd3222.jpg

59738f634a017_2002-01-0100_00.24-Copy.jpg.3d277bf2f4ad2fa55386f81c651f0ba5.jpg

Do you use the Discovery II for pulling your trailer? I find it interesting that you have the additional red rear fog light on the trailer as well.

With all of the pickup trucks we have over here, it is not a trailer-society like Europe.

Stormin

Yes, I use the Disco to pull the trailer. A very good tow vehicle. It's also my everyday driver.

5973a0e2c4242_DSCF0007(2).JPG.eaf74fb701a497e4a862f2c4019fc1d5.JPG

I think the rear fog light on the trailer is an EU regulation.

Edited by Stormin
  • Like 1

bmsgaffer
9 hours ago, Stormin said:

I have read a bit about this as my car has a much higher tow rating in the UK than it does for the US market and here is what I have come across:

(Feel free to correct me if I am wrong about these!)

The UK has many more trailers than the US does just because - as John mentioned- there are bigger pickup trucks here and bigger roads. Also I think there are far more 'caravans' (campers) on the road than there are here and they have quite a bit smaller 'average' cars. The shorter wheel base trailers are done so a smaller car can carry a larger load without having too much tongue weight screw up the attitude (and safety) of the towing vehicle. But because of that they also have to implement the towing speed limit that I believe you have over there, otherwise there would be an issue with not enough tongue weight causing trailers to start fish-tailing and wrecking. 

In the US we have big roads with big speed limits, so by moving the axle back it makes the trailers safer to drive at higher speeds (as we arent generally responsible enough to follow regular speed limits anyways, much less towing speed limits), but it also reduces the towing capacity of our vehicles because of that. 

For example my car (2016 subaru outback) is rated to tow 4400lbs in the UK but it is rated to only 2700 lbs here in the US. 

• Like 1

JPWH

I tried to order a trailer and asked them to move the axle from 7 ft 8" on center to 7 ft on center on a 6x12 trailer and they said no. 

shallowwatersailor
3 minutes ago, JPWH said:

I tried to order a trailer and asked them to move the axle from 7 ft 8" on center to 7 ft on center on a 6x12 trailer and they said no. 

Was it a dealer that sells mass-produced trailers? Those types of trailers are built in quantity on an assembly line. When I was researching 2-1/2 years ago for my trailer, I spoke at length to a local trailer manufacturer that could have customized a trailer for me.

• Like 1