Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

I may have found a much better alternative to any of the other spray can paints that everyone has been using. I had used it years ago, but forgot about it because I had only used black, white, and silver.  While I was at my friends shop sandblasting this morning, I asked him if their spray paint came in bright red. He pulled out the color charts, and they make a myriad of shades of red. I brought home a can of gloss red to try, and while I have not used it yet, there were some tiny splatters on a can that looks to be very close. It is called IPC, Industrial Protective Coatings, manufactured by Applied Maintenance Supplies and Solutions in Cleveland Ohio. This stuff is extremely tough, they use it on propellers that they repair, boat stands, hoists etc., that they manufacture. It is also mirror glossy when applied. Will report back on how well it does.

20170610_163131.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Tgtack said:

I may have found a much better alternative to any of the other spray can paints that everyone has been using. I had used it years ago, but forgot about it because I had only used black, white, and silver.  While I was at my friends shop sandblasting this morning, I asked him if their spray paint came in bright red. He pulled out the color charts, and they make a myriad of shades of red. I brought home a can of gloss red to try, and while I have not used it yet, there were some tiny splatters on a can that looks to be very close. It is called IPC, Industrial Protective Coatings, manufactured by Applied Maintenance Supplies and Solutions in Cleveland Ohio. This stuff is extremely tough, they use it on propellers that they repair, boat stands, hoists etc., that they manufacture. It is also mirror glossy when applied. Will report back on how well it does.

20170610_163131.jpg

Our bus mechanics use the same brand only in "school bus yellow". Its good touch up for our Hustler mowers to. I to have used it and like it. I have not seen the red variety yet.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Keep us posted please

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where can we buy it?  I'm not seeing anything anywhere?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see they have an IH Red...hmmm .

Really miss the Valspar oil-based enamel you could get in quarts and use hardener with it , that stuff was great and really tough .

 

Sarge

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does anyone see a color chart?  I even checked their website and nothing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I wanted to update the thread, I sprayed a test piece, and it has more of an orange tint than Sunrise Red. I will let you be the judge of the color. This was the IPC standard Gloss Red on the left, RO Sunrise Red on the right.

As far as color charts, here are two pages showing color matche'd reds and standard colors I am thinking of getting a can of the "Power Red" to try. I love the way this paint sprays and it has a very high gloss, plus it is tough as nails. Just need to find the correct shade.

20170626_181429-1.jpg

 

 

Screenshot_2017-06-26-18-23-05.png

Screenshot_2017-06-26-18-22-49.png

Edited by Tgtack

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2017 at 7:09 AM, Sarge said:

I see they have an IH Red...hmmm .

Really miss the Valspar oil-based enamel you could get in quarts and use hardener with it , that stuff was great and really tough .

 

Sarge

Interesting.  We don't carry every SKU but we sell Valspar.  They might have an industrial or automotive devision that's entirely different though. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/13/2017 at 7:09 AM, Sarge said:

I see they have an IH Red...hmmm .

Really miss the Valspar oil-based enamel you could get in quarts and use hardener with it , that stuff was great and really tough .

 

Sarge

I sometimes use the hardener they sell at TSC and mix it with Rustoleum.  The hardener is dangerous and you have to use a respirator and also cover all exposed skin.   Example is a motorcycle fender color sanded down to 2000 grit and buffed

051.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Valspar totally discontinued the oil based industrial paint in the Restoration Series , unfortunately . Part of it is EPA regulations , the other part being bought out by another company - a disgusting trend in today's world and the reason we are losing so much of the good supplies we used for so long . It's all about profit now , nothing about quality .

 

I'd be interested to try some of the industrial International red IPC paint in quarts - who knows , maybe it would match fairly well and have some good durability with it when used with hardeners .

 

Sarge

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone found a source for IPC paint ??

@Tgtack where did you buy yours .

I would like to try it but can't find a source 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

No, no one but you uses Van Sickle paint UB.

  I went to their web site and discovered that one can mix clear coat with base color to increase gloss in the final coat and also add hardener to it after adding the clear coat. Sounds interesting to say the least.   I located a dealer within reasonable distance.   Mixing clear and color coats is how candy paint is done. I may just have to contact the guys who make this stuff

 

 

 Thanks, uncle buck

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BOB ELLISON said:

Has anyone found a source for IPC paint ??

@Tgtack where did you buy yours .

I would like to try it but can't find a source 

 

I can get it through my friends mfg company, but not sure how long would take. I only want to get maybe one can of two different reds to try for color match. I am going to contact mfg to see if they can give me a list of distributors as I can not locate any. Apprently they mainly supply wholesale accounts with businesses. I will keep post updated.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, ohiofarmer said:

  I went to their web site and discovered that one can mix clear coat with base color to increase gloss in the final coat and also add hardener to it after adding the clear coat. Sounds interesting to say the least.   I located a dealer within reasonable distance.   Mixing clear and color coats is how candy paint is done. I may just have to contact the guys who make this stuff

 

 

 Thanks, uncle buck

I wondered if anyone would ever take a peek at that. Well done! :handgestures-thumbupright:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ohiofarmer said:

  I went to their web site and discovered that one can mix clear coat with base color to increase gloss in the final coat and also add hardener to it after adding the clear coat. Sounds interesting to say the least.   I located a dealer within reasonable distance.   Mixing clear and color coats is how candy paint is done. I may just have to contact the guys who make this stuff

 

 

 Thanks, uncle buck

Notice that was only with their best quality Acrylic paint though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/27/2017 at 9:54 AM, Sarge said:

Valspar totally discontinued the oil based industrial paint in the Restoration Series , unfortunately . Part of it is EPA regulations , the other part being bought out by another company - a disgusting trend in today's world and the reason we are losing so much of the good supplies we used for so long . It's all about profit now , nothing about quality .

 

I'd be interested to try some of the industrial International red IPC paint in quarts - who knows , maybe it would match fairly well and have some good durability with it when used with hardeners .

 

Sarge

Totally agree.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×