ebinmaine

Exhaust "stack" suggestions needed

ebinmaine

I have a '74 B80 I picked up last fall .

The exhaust I have is a "stack" made of the muffler from a late 70's 10-12 HP cub and a short piece of pipe to get it away from the hood.

I like the tone and low noise level a lot and I need to make it taller to get the fumes out of my face when driving.

Mine needs to be as light weight as possible and maybe another 2 feet long (tall).

The only thing I can think of is maybe thin chrome sink drain pipe?

How did you make the exhaust on yours?

Thanks!

• Like 1

Jerry77
6 minutes ago, ebinmaine said:

thin chrome sink drain pipe

Don't think it would take the heat (?)  What about stainless steel tubing...? I believe in either case it would tarnish if it is too thin..:twocents-02cents:

ebinmaine
2 hours ago, Jerry77 said:

take the heat (?) 

I had that same thought.... Some tarnish would be fine as it is a work horse not a show horse.

JPWH

You could use EMT and high temp paint.

Chris G

imageproxy.php?img=&key=233175c88be08e9bI used the chrome plated drain pipe. Just cut it off at the elbow. I haven't had no issues and it was on one tractor for a year and got transfered to another for about 6 months now. But the stainless bath rails work even better I was told and also theres a guy in the classifieds who sells chrome tipped muffler stacks.

IMG_20160727_114717263.jpg

Also depending  on how big you make your stack and especially be aware of the weight. Cause a stack has been known to Crack a block if it's not braced up. So my advice definitely brace your stack with a good support. 

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 4

82Caddy

Contact @jimkemp  he makes some really nice exhaust stacks. 

• Like 2

cafoose

I just got one from @jimkemp and I'm very pleased with it. Check out my post to see some:text-coolphotos:  You need to scroll down near the end of the post to see the pictures. The inlet is threaded and you can use any length of pipe you want.

• Like 1

953 nut
6 hours ago, Chris G said:

be aware of the weight. Cause a stack has been known to Crack a block if it's not braced up. So my advice definitely brace your stack with a good support. 

:text-yeahthat:   The weight and vibration need to be compensated for by bracing the stack to the top of the engine or the tractor itself.

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Here's mine

FB_IMG_1496203823430.jpg

• Like 1

ebinmaine

Good advice across the board as usual folks. Thanks.  

• Like 1

ebinmaine

I ended up buying the longer portion of this:

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-1-1-2-in-Brass-S-Trap-C720-1/205153843?MERCH=REC-_-rv_nav_plp_rr-_-NA-_-205153843-_-N

I'll cut the elbow 1/2 way or so and get the exhaust pointed away from myself just above eye level instead of sternum level. And its CHROME. Shiny is good. :D 

• Like 2

Chris G

Same thing I used. Light weight and has held up over all pretty well.

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 1