Big_Red_Fred

Give the Newbie some advice please

Big_Red_Fred

Sunday i leave my home with my trailer in tow to buy a non running C series tractor, 42 inch deck & Plow for 700 dollars,its a 18 horse twin Kohler. i'm a NEWBIE on here but not to Garden tractors, i have a chance now to buy a 516H, which way should a 57 year old Horse nut go, i can only get 1 this week, be easy on ole Fred ;-) 

• Like 3

Jerry77

I'm not that well versed on the C models, but I have had several 300 series WH's...great machines ..I got a 516H last fall - don't know the hours, but it runs real well (I like the power of the 16hp Onan ) - it is a gas hog tho....but the 700 eaton tranny was weak --- got a good 1100 eaton and put it in....the old horse is a beast with a snow blade on it - push dirt, gravel, you name it   and fast in forward and reverse ...it is my bulldozer around the place but  I mow with a gas sipping big box store machine...wouldn't want to mow much with it because of the gas usage..all that said, I really like the 516..well built machine...:twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

The C series sounds high to me. Do you know the model and if it is a hydro or 8 speed?

• Like 2

953 nut
1 hour ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

C series tractor, 42 inch deck & Plow for 700 dollars,its a 18 horse twin Kohler. i'm a NEWBIE on here but not to Garden tractors, i have a chance now to buy a 516H

You kind of gave us half the information on both of them.    :confusion-confused:

Is the non running "C" an eight speed or hydro? Is the Kohler just not running or has it thrown a rod. I would bring some jumper cables and some starter fluid and expect to have good compression on both cylinders and perhaps an attempt to fire. Is the 516 H running? A non running Onan can be a money pit and if it won"t run you can't test the transmission. I would be hard pressed to pay more than $ 300 for a non running Hydro because you have no idea what the condition of the transmission is.

• Like 7

Big_Red_Fred

The 516H is running, looks like another 42 inch deck, The C series is Large, its a Hydro, one of your ReD Square collectors from Lancaster Pa drove down he said, offered him 500, he wont budge, said its been sitting in his garage covered since 1992, said he paid 2900.00 new for it in 81 ? I texted him a little bit ago, he's a Truck Driver, asked him the series, never got a answer. i never tore a Twin down, if it needs torn ? He said it was running & then it just shut off , he cranked to much & toasted the starter, so he covered it up & bought a Deere LOL, poor man, he sold the Green Machine last week, know he wants the horse gone, my memory lately sucks , i'm gonna take a guess at a 170 or 175 ? But not sure, Maybe its some thing easy ? Maybe the magnets on fly wheel are rusted LOL, I dont know what to do, i jumped to fast, should have took the long ride & checked it out rather then saying ok, a sign of a old man

He wants 850 for the 516H

Hes a RedSquare member in State College, Pa, Center Hall it was, Pa

Big_Red_Fred

He Called, a C125, 42 deck, plow, And a Wheel horse pull behind Lawn Rake, he just added that for free, So its a C125, they any good LOL dang Fred, i'll be at the big show wearing my hard hat, you all may say HEY ROOKIE

953 nut

$ 700 for a non running hydro is just too much of a crap shot! All you know for sure is that it will need a starter. $ 850 for a 516 H could be a fair

price depending on condition.

• Like 1

kudzu3

:text-yeahthat:

Big_Red_Fred

My son with the 310-8 said the same, i guess im commited to buy, he took it down, id ask nicely, LOL, Guess i make to much & dont use my noggin, hey thats what you guys are for , support for us beginners 

953 nut
28 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

C125, 42 deck, plow, And a Wheel horse pull behind Lawn Rake, he just added that for free, So its a C125, they any good

It is commendable that you feel an obligation to keep your end of a deal made with a total stranger. Presuming he is honest about the condition and the hydro is OK you will do OK.A 12 HP Kohler is reasonable to rebuild and easy to do.

The 42" deck is worth $ 100 or more depending on condition. Not too sure what the rake is worth, but it adds value. 

Big_Red_Fred

Thanks for all the advice, my son was hoping the plow would bolt up to his 310-8, guess we may find out, have a good weekend 953, thanks

• Like 1

midpack
34 minutes ago, Big_Red_Fred said:

Thanks for all the advice, my son was hoping the plow would bolt up to his 310-8, guess we may find out, have a good weekend 953, thanks

The 300's and the C series are nearly identical. I've been using parts off a 312 on my C-175's and also the 417-8 I got recently ;)

Big_Red_Fred

Do you think Midpack that i'm paying to much ? i realize its not running since 1992, 700 to much ? It looks nice, would be the 3rd i purchased in 3 months, i have a 417-8 & gave my son the 310-8

ericj

at $ 700.00 aint going anywhere fast, wait 2 more weeks and go to the show and see what you might find. I'll be bringing several tractors for sale, and I know a lot of other people will also be there with tractors to sell

eric j  

• Like 4

midpack
On 6/9/2017 at 5:56 PM, Big_Red_Fred said:

Do you think Midpack that i'm paying to much ? i realize its not running since 1992, 700 to much ? It looks nice, would be the 3rd i purchased in 3 months, i have a 417-8 & gave my son the 310-8

what they go for seems to be a regional thing. I get to leave work early on Fridays so I missed your question.

did you get it?

Big_Red_Fred

a friend  said it was a little high, i'm holding off till weekend of 17, i did say yes to it, so i should grab it, he said it was a 18 horse, its really a 12 horse ? Being a Newbie to horses may have nipped the ole man but thats how i learn, if not ill bring it to big show, My Son with the 310-8 wants the attachments hahaha, Boys

Missed your post ericj,  Yes im bringing the dough to the show, now being a Newbie, you wont miss me, i'm painting my Hard Hat Red , writing Newbie on it & installing sum kind of Button buck horns, I'm sure sum will get a kick out of it ! Its all about Fun, Hobbies & Friends

• Like 2

midpack

well, I would certainly bring up the fact that the machine is not as it was represented to you (12 vs 18hp is substantial).

maybe you can get him to drop the $$$ a couple hundred...  ;)

did the guy really say it was a twin?

Sarge

Maybe he misread it , thought it was a K-361 (18hp) - although the overhead valve design is a dead giveaway and that is one rare engine .

I'd dock 'em a couple hundred at least...

Sarge

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

He said over the phone it was a 18hp, thats what drew my interest, My Son & i wanted a big bore to work on. were both Mechanics, Funny thing thou, he kept texting and changing the pickup time ? Then it was 7pm, i would rather be home by then, he's in Maryland on the border to pa, i cant pack into MD. my son was going too, he thought it was kind of strange, i have no fear, i just be more upset for wasting gas & Mileage on my Dodge ram hahaha. I guess craigslist has its issue. Gues in my younger days i was in a scrap or 2 ;-) 

• Like 1

Big_Red_Fred

All you Men gave me great Advice, i'm going if he answers the phone and goes with it when im available in morning, if its a basket case i wont buy, i'll take my camera and post them all on here & my dang flip phone that takes lousey pics due to fluid damage at work, that is if this is For Real, i'll bit my lip and pay if he dont come down.

• Like 1