mikeeyre74

Wheel Horse B-115 vertical shaft drive issue

mikeeyre74

So I started looking at that 115 that I picked up the other day, and it starts and runs although not great… But it does.  Carburetor needs to be gone through, just like always.  The problem I'm experiencing, has me scratching my head. And yes I've already looked it up on here and I see that other people of having the same issue but haven't seem to have gotten it resolved? I also saw the service bulletins as well, and look at all of those things on the tractor but still the problem remains.  The problem being, when you're on the tractor you push in the clutch and select a gear and it just starts going… Regardless of if you're holding down the clutch and or brake.  If you let the clutch out it continues to go perhaps with a bit more authority, but still when you push the clutch back in it just keeps going and that makes it very hard to shift gears on the peerless transmission let lone stop the tractor since it just doesn't want to stop. 

As near as I can figure, the belt is just turning the transmission all the time and that is what is causing the issue. All of the belt guides seem to be in the right place. The belt is definitely worn, but I'm not sure that I would consider it totally destroyed.  From underneath the tractor, when I depress the clutch, I can see that there is a lot of slack in the belt, but when you grab it by hand and move it it still turns the transmission as if it's just kind of stuck in the V groove in the transmission pulley and doesn't Just wanna let go? Anyone have some thoughts on the matter?

N3PUY

When you depress the clutch pedal the belt should go slack and be loose on the motor pulley.

There should be guides to make the belt expand around the motor pulley.

The belt can stay tight on the transmission pulley.

mikeeyre74
Belt and pulley

Belt and pulley

Belt and pulley

I know these pictures are horrible, because I'm upside down underneath the tractor trying to take them, but I see the guides that I think you are talking about, but all they do is keep the belt from falling off, there is nothing to pull the belt away from the engine?

• Like 1

N3PUY

which is the clutch pulley?

AND...

5939df3b8e5ce_vertclutch.jpg.30edc4aeb4a458c392d9dbff959300b5.jpg

• Like 1

mikeeyre74

Whoa! That was it! 

Well, that and one other thing… I guess there was a technical service bulletin and a retrofit kit for these things? It looks like they moved the pulley over about an inch and a half or so by putting it on a bracket which is bolted to the bottom of one of the engine mounting bolts.   Essentially , this acts as a swiveling idler pulley.  It's adjustable.  After moving it to a different position, everything works as it should!  But I never would've known this if I hadn't crawl back under to make the adjustment on those belt guide "fingers".  Thanks guys!

• Like 1