pfrederi

Should use 10w30 or 10w-40 motor oil.  Wix 51410 filter

• Like 1

HUDSON89

Thanks does it make a difference between the two oils to use

pfrederi

If it is a summer use mostly tractor and being in VA I might use 10w-40

Ed Kennell

I agree with Paul, but if the tractor is used in colder temps, I  would tend to use the lighter 10W30 especially if your tractor has the hydraulic lift .... meaning it has the Eaton 1100 transmission.   All the autos should be warmed before using, but some  of these Eaton 1100s  have a quirky requirement for an extremely  long warm up time before the lift will work.

• Like 1

BigRed84

Sorry in advance for bringing this back....again....I know I've even asked in the past after having little luck turn up in searches.  I have the 314H from possibly 1995-1996 time frame.  Trying to confirm what fluid to use in the fill tube that is under the seat pan.  I assumed this was called the "rear end" like a car.  But now after searching trying to figure out why my forward speed seems to fade unless i'm leaning forward on the lever, i'm worried something is wrong.  Some people call this the trans, others say rear end, others refer to it as if they are talking about the "hydro".  So now i'm just all sorts of confused.  Can someone clarify this?  As of now i've only replaced the engine oil, and the filter and oil that drains out of the "diff" (to be perfectly clear-the drain plug in the beafy eaton 11 housing between the two rear tires) and filled the fill tube under the seat with 10-30.  But if this is the same that runs the hydro and forward/reverse, since when does 10-30 engine oil have the same properties as "hydraulic fluid"?  and transmission fluid for that matter??  I managed to start a new facebook account recently and started following wheel horse fanatics and someone recently posted, and several replies about putting 90-140 weight in the trans.  That's what started my second guessing.  Please help!   

953 nut
36 minutes ago, BigRed84 said:

several replies about putting 90-140 weight in the trans.

If you has a manual eight speed this would be true.

37 minutes ago, BigRed84 said:

(to be perfectly clear-the drain plug in the beafy eaton 11 housing between the two rear tires) and filled the fill tube under the seat with 10-30.  But if this is the same that runs the hydro and forward/reverse, since when does 10-30 engine oil have the same properties as "hydraulic fluid"?  and transmission fluid for that matter??

Eaton has been successfully using 10 W 30 motor oil in the hydros for decades,don't buck the trend! Be advised that the fill tube is long and you will need to ad the new oil slowly and allow it to burp from time to time.

• Like 1

BigRed84

(Wiping sweat from forehead)  haha.  Thanks.  I was getting worried that I've been running the wrong oil and ruined something.  I recently even paid to have the original tractor shop we bought it from service it to track down the slowing problem.  They said the same thing a lot of guys here have said.  Adjust the friction bolt under the seat where the forward reverse linkage is.  Its tight, but now i feel like its slower, haven't even had time to drive it around to see if it fixed the loss of forward speed issue but I'll update if it's still an issue.  Thanks for the reply

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

To help clarify the components of the rear end, the hydrostatic transmission is the round finned component. That is/was manufactured by Eaton and is a Model 11. The rest is the transaxle that bolts to the frame and has the differential, axles, etc. This was manufactured by Wheel Horse. Some of us run Mobil 1 10W-30 synthetic motor oil which performs better in cold weather than dino 10W-30 in the hydro tractors.

The tractors with the Eaton 700 run 20W in the transmission and 10W-30 motor oil in the transaxle. It is a different design.