SRB

What is a C 120 auto worth

SRB

Wondering what a C 120 Auto would be worth? It is my second WH but I don't want to keep this one. I bought it in a package deal with a nice Tiller, blade and 36" SD deck.  It has the Tecumseh HH120 12hp motor and it has a terrible knock and smokes pretty good. Going to pull the head off and see if I can figure out what it is for sure. The hydro seems okay on it. The right axle seal is leaking.

I have a 36" SD deck or a 36" RD deck I could include with it. Both in very good condition. The seat that is in the pic does not go with it. I am switching it out with the one off my C 101

I originally was going to part it out but some of you talked me out of it. I would rather sell it whole and see someone get her going good.

1496772836749-1368246419.jpg

20170606_131631.jpg

20170605_153541(1).jpg

Edited by SRB
  • Like 2

DennisThornton

As you described I'd think $150 or so for just the tractor. Knocking & leaking hurts... 

SRB
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

As you described I'd think $150 or so for just the tractor. Knocking & leaking hurts... 

Ouch! I think I would part it out then before I let it go that cheap. I was thinking if I could get $300-$350 I'd let it go whole. I guess that's with one of the 36" decks though. 

Thank you Dennis. Regardless of what I do with it, I am definitely addicted. And that's not good for my wife because I got a pet Deere a few years ago too! (A 400. shhh, I probably can't say that in here.) LOL. So far the horse and the deere get along in the stable just fine.

Thanks again. I love learning and growing. 

KC9KAS

Better sell to Dennis...I would only go $100 with a bad Techy!

pfrederi

A Techy reduces value...a techy with a knock .. big reduction.  You say the Hydro "seems" OK.  I will not buy any more "seems OK" hydros with out testing them.

• Like 2

SRB
7 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

A Techy reduces value...a techy with a knock .. big reduction.  You say the Hydro "seems" OK.  I will not buy any more "seems OK" hydros with out testing them.

Pfrederi, what is proceedure for checking out a hydro on a horse?

After I fixed the hydro lever so it functioned properly, the hydro it's self is smooth both forward and reverse, no surging, and no whining or noises. And the fluid is still clean after driving it about for a while at different times. I don't trust that techy to run it much longer than warm up.

Another question, what if it had a K301 that was knocking? Let me guess, Kohlers don't knock, they just run! LOL. :lol:

I too love the Kohler engines, this is the first Tecumseh I have had.

Cee245

I dont know jack about Tech's , but I agree with the others about buying a tractor with a toasted motor 

I bought a 95 416h with good motor and hydro for 200 last year. 

That's about the only good things on it, but it ran and drove good.

It's wiring and fuel system were butchered though. Along with some of the metal.

(A happy kid with a drill is evident.)

As most guys say on here, its only worth what YOU are willing to put into it. 

I wasn't willing to put ANY money into the 95 416h so I got it as a parts tractor for my 97 416h and 91 416-8. 

C

DennisThornton

Yeah, I was being a bit generous.  I've bought MUCH more for a bit less, but the wheels are nice, sheet metal looks straight and I like the seat, PLUS I have a good Techy that will bolt right in there.  I agree with the others.  Expect $100 and hope for $150 but I wouldn't expect more.  Maybe the axle only needs a seal.  Maybe the hydro IS fine.  Maybe a rebuild on the Techy won't be so bad...  For you or someone else?

However!  You have a JD 400!  Nice tractor!

• Like 1

SRB
1 hour ago, DennisThornton said:

Yeah, I was being a bit generous.  I've bought MUCH more for a bit less, but the wheels are nice, sheet metal looks straight and I like the seat, PLUS I have a good Techy that will bolt right in there.  I agree with the others.  Expect $100 and hope for $150 but I wouldn't expect more.  Maybe the axle only needs a seal.  Maybe the hydro IS fine.  Maybe a rebuild on the Techy won't be so bad...  For you or someone else?

However!  You have a JD 400!  Nice tractor!

I do feel very blessed with the 400. I am in the middle of a frame up resto on it right now though, so I am thankful the good Lord brought me a C 101 horse to ride. I will post a link to that thread when I get back to my computer. It was a great candidate to begin with. I got it from a friend and it basically had a new K532 in it. 

DennisThornton

Hey!  Yes this is the BEST WH site but there is an "other brands" Create a Topic where some of us meet in secret...

I'm proud to have found 2 XI's that I could afford but I'd love to have a JD400, so feel free to post in the "other brands" topics!

SRB
14 minutes ago, DennisThornton said:

Hey!  Yes this is the BEST WH site but there is an "other brands" Create a Topic where some of us meet in secret...

I'm proud to have found 2 XI's that I could afford but I'd love to have a JD400, so feel free to post in the "other brands" topics!

Thanks for the info Dennis. I will get a thread started when I get a chance.

• Like 1

pfrederi
11 hours ago, SRB said:

Pfrederi, what is proceedure for checking out a hydro on a horse?

After I fixed the hydro lever so it functioned properly, the hydro it's self is smooth both forward and reverse, no surging, and no whining or noises. And the fluid is still clean after driving it about for a while at different times. I don't trust that techy to run it much longer than warm up.

Another question, what if it had a K301 that was knocking? Let me guess, Kohlers don't knock, they just run! LOL. :lol:

I too love the Kohler engines, this is the first Tecumseh I have had.

Get the hydro warmed up hen put it up against an immovable object and see is she will spin the rear wheels on pavement.

SRB
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Get the hydro warmed up hen put it up against an immovable object and see is she will spin the rear wheels on pavement.

Is that while sitting on it for the added weight or just under the weight of the tractor itself?

Thanks for the tip, I will do that today.

Edited by SRB

pfrederi
1 hour ago, SRB said:

Is that while sitting on it for the added weight or just under the weight of the tractor itself?

Thanks for the tip, I will do that today.

With you sitting on it.

ericj

the deck is worth then the tractor, sell it separately. I've seen it to many times that you can get more for the tractor and deck separately then for the whole package, hint, hint, most of the times the guy's on here give you the price for what they would pay, NOT what they would ask if they were selling it.

eric j 

• Like 1

SRB
11 hours ago, pfrederi said:

With you sitting on it.

Well, she did a burn out in forward and reverse. The motor didn't like it much and started puking oil out the crank case tube. I took a couple short videos but I can't figure out how to upload them.  Thanks for the hydro tip though. Great information to know.

SRB
1 hour ago, ericj said:

the deck is worth then the tractor, sell it separately. I've seen it to many times that you can get more for the tractor and deck separately then for the whole package, hint, hint, most of the times the guy's on here give you the price for what they would pay, NOT what they would ask if they were selling it.

eric j 

Ericj, thank you for the info and the tip.  My son and I decided to tear it down today to part it out.  Good to know on the decks. Do people actually what the 36" decks? I used the RD deck I got with my C 101 and thought it was worthless. Entirely to small to be of any use to me. Took me two hours to mow a yard that normally takes me 35 minutes with my zero turn. I know that's an unfair comparison, but 2 hours?!  I swapped it out with the 42" and now I have two 36" decks keeping my driveway from floating away. :text-lol:

mikeeyre74

When you say "put it up against an immovable object", I feel like you would break things by doing that… Do you mean like attach it with a chain or something that you could pull with against said immovable object? Would that be the same "test".?

SRB
10 minutes ago, mikeeyre74 said:

When you say "put it up against an immovable object", I feel like you would break things by doing that… Do you mean like attach it with a chain or something that you could pull with against said immovable object? Would that be the same "test".?

mikeeyre74, we had the hood and front mule drive removed from the tractor so we just pulled straight up to a utility pole next to our drive way with the front end and then turned around and used a block of wooden post between it and the rear end and it worked great.