Big_Red_Fred

416-8 Transmission

Big_Red_Fred

I have a chance to get a 416-8. no deck just Tractor, its stuck in High Range, would it be a ball & spring set up or is it more critical ? Is it worth the effort ? I believe it is . Whats your thoughts & repair, any help makes it worth while, Thanks Big Fred

• Like 1

N3PUY

Price?    Hi-Lo fork is probably broken.  Not a difficult repair.

• Like 1

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat: That would be my first guess. :)

I'd say definitely yes, it's worth the trouble if the deal is right. There's plenty of help here if you need it.

• Like 2

Cee245

I also agree with above posts.  I've done a similar repair to a 91 416-8.  Had to replace a shift fork and since I was in there, replaced bearings and I think it was 3rd gear. 

That was after 1100plus hrs of very steep hills and abuse like slamming it into 2nd and 3rd regularly. 

Just remember to keep a close eye on all parts during the process... I thought it was all done and then found a woodruf key sitting on the work bench after the first assembly. Had to take a part again to install.  

Wasn't happy but I've done little annoying things like that before and probably will do again.  Just part of the learning process. 

C

P.S. how much? That'd be the deciding factor.

Edited by Cee245
  • Like 2

Racinbob

Kinda like just finishing rebuilding your precious street machine and jumping in to fire it up for the first time and finding a brand new piston ring on the drivers seat :blink:

The repair cost will be low and you can do it yourself. We need pictures to even guess what it's worth. :)

• Like 2

Big_Red_Fred

Thanks all, the price he wanted was 500, i got him down to 300 due to condition & rusty, real rusty, fire up the sand blaster, i'm getting 2 more horses for free this weekend, saturday & sunday a C 175 i think he said with a Kolher 18 twin, the free ones i may take to the big show, i will post the Numbers as soon as my buddy calls me back , when you spoke of all the parts in gear box, made me think of last year rebuilding a ISX Cummins at work, For the Good of me i just couldnt find my 12 point socket, sure did when i set the head, Crunch number 4 piston, i did the Donkey call, sounded like a lousy version of HeeHaw ;-)  Thats Big Red Fred, 

At least it was a RED Engine ;-) 

ericj

some guy's will say that is to much for a rusty tractor, is it a Kohler or an onan,if the motor runs good it may be worth it, but I would have to have a need for it. I would feel better at $ 200.00 to $ 250.00 with no attachments. last year I bought a non-running 520 with a mower deck and snow plow. seller said motor was junk, but it had the forward swept axle and gear reduction steering. sold the mower deck and the snow plow and got the tractor for free. months later pulled it in the shed and got the motor running, had a loose bearing plate behind the pto. tightened it up and it runs good. good luck

eric j