ottsm

Hydraulic system for wheelhorse

ottsm

I'm new to this forum.  I was trying to fix the hydraulic hoses on my Wheel Horse.  I read elsewhere about getting JIC to ORB fittings, which I've started down that path.  Thought it was going to be easy but guess not.

1st place is at the filter housing, I can only place a 45 at this location (original was a 90) unless I could find one like the original which was a continuous swivel vs the fixed swivel.  I tried using a #6ORB to 90 JIC but as you can see it will run into the other fitting that is already in the middle of the filter housing.

2nd place is under the transmission fan (picture is taken at an angle, up is to the right).    You can see the hose I was trying to connect, the JIC end has too much metal in the crimp area to follow the fuel line and turn back up.  Might have to get a straight ORB to JIC and then get a 90 swivel JIC. 

Next is a picture of the valve.  At the left I need to have the #6ORB 90's or it wont clear the place under the dash where the valve mounts.  The bottom are #5ORB 45's, these could be straight also.    

I tried using R16 hose, this has a good bend radius but is way to stiff to make life easy.  I tried our local shop in town originally to make up the hoses but they did not have the #5 ORB fittings.  I'll check tomorrow and see if they have R3 hose.

So far round 1 has failed.  Next is round 2 in trying to get R3 hose.  I see the Discount Hydraulics has R3 hose (they supplied the fittings and the hoses for the 1st round).

Anyone else already go through this?  

IMG_1428.JPG

IMG_1429.JPG

IMG_1432.JPG

Edited by ottsm
Pictures did not attach

pfrederi

Get SAE 100R1AT 1-Wire Hydraulic Hose  good for 2,750psi very flexible

I assume you are working with an Eaton100.  i only wok on older Sundstands they use SAE 5

I get fittings from here.  Note SAE#5 ORB are getting harder to find.

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Braided_Hose_Fittings_s/35.htm

• Like 2

squonk

Another good source is the Surplus Centet. Just google it. 

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:                 We have a vendor here that can probably fix you up.

• Like 5

ottsm

Discount Hydraulics have a " MBX90-04-06", this is a 90 deg ORB#6 swivel.  Was thinking about just going back to this configuration and using R3 hose.  My question is which part swivels, the ORB or the crimp, or both.  Ideally both would be just what I need, even if it is not a continuous swivel.  Anyone know?

ottsm
24 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Get SAE 100R1AT 1-Wire Hydraulic Hose  good for 2,750psi very flexible

I assume you are working with an Eaton100.  i only wok on older Sundstands they use SAE 5

I get fittings from here.  Note SAE#5 ORB are getting harder to find.

https://www.discounthydraulichose.com/Braided_Hose_Fittings_s/35.htm

Was wondering about the R1 hose, Discount Hydraulic Hose also has the R3.  When I looked at the spec's for the R3 and R1, the R3 had a tighter bend radius (4" for R1 and 3" for R3).  Of course I tried R16 which is 2" but it still is stiff. 

ottsm
35 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

:WRS:                 We have a vendor here that can probably fix you up.

I'll be making the call.

• Like 3

doc724

I used Discount Hydraulics to fab the hoses for my C125 (Eaton 1100 Hydro).  It did take me a while to figure out all the adapters I needed (and of course unless DH saved my order somewhere I cannot find the original order.  The one surprise I did have is that today's hoses use longer fittings for the crimps etc, so I had a bit more difficulty snaking the hoses thru the chassis holes and bending them to line up to the lift cylinder.  I am thinking that I used #6 ORB fittings and I had no trouble.  I also remember the hose spec, R1 v. R3.  I think the original WH was R1, I bought R3

ottsm
24 minutes ago, doc724 said:

I used Discount Hydraulics to fab the hoses for my C125 (Eaton 1100 Hydro).  It did take me a while to figure out all the adapters I needed (and of course unless DH saved my order somewhere I cannot find the original order.  The one surprise I did have is that today's hoses use longer fittings for the crimps etc, so I had a bit more difficulty snaking the hoses thru the chassis holes and bending them to line up to the lift cylinder.  I am thinking that I used #6 ORB fittings and I had no trouble.  I also remember the hose spec, R1 v. R3.  I think the original WH was R1, I bought R3

My original hoses are R3.  Did you use JIC to ORB fittings and than use JIC hoses, or just go directly to the crimp on ORB fittings?

ottsm

My existing hoses are;

10" total length, ORB#5 straight to ORB#5 straight, R3 hose (manual shows 45 degree fittings for both so someone may have changed them out or the part was changed at some point by WH, straight seems to work fine).

15" total length to center of 45, ORB#5 straight to ORB#5 45 degree, R3 hose (again the manual shows both fittings being 45, the only 45 I had was on the cylinder front, straight at the valve seems to work fine).

27" center to center of 90's, ORB#6 90 to ORB#6 90, R3 hose, 0 degrees alignment.

30" center to center of 90's, ORB#6 90 to ORB#6 90, R3 hose. 0 degrees alignment.

All the above swivel of course.

If I get the 90 degree ORB's with swivel, does anyone know if the crimp side and the ORB side both swivel, or is it just one of them and which one?  I would hope the ORB side swivels otherwise it would be difficult to hookup the fitting. 

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

ottsm

Well I finally got something that should work.  I followed the example on this link, (Thanks FiddleStix would have been going insane without your example, I understand he hasn't returned to the forum in a long time);

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/15686-hydraulic-hoses-source/

If you have the system I have, the big bulky hydraulic fittings used today just take up to much space, I was really struggling even with ORB crimp fittings.  If you have the valve that is on the outside verses under the dash, it makes life a lot easier. 

I had to use a 45 JIC to #6 ORB fitting on the filter.

On the cylinder I kind of did a loop.  I might have to go back and shorten things up a bit, it doesn't appear to hit when the cylinder is retracted as it stick out more toward the guard (I purchased some spare olives just in case), I might try putting it on the other side.

I used a 90 versus a 45 on the front of the cylinder, just seemed to be a better setup.

Just enough room under the hydraulic motor for a 90.

I was able to get my hands on a new old stock valve, bottoms are straight orb 5 fittings.  The front of the valve uses 90 orb 6 fittings.

I ran out of daylight, hopefully tomorrow I can put enough back together to do a leak test. 

IMG_1475.JPG

IMG_1476.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1474.JPG