RevyAjax

Reverse Starter direction

RevyAjax

I put a new starter on my C-100.  It is spinning the wrong direction and will not throw out the bendix to the fly wheel.  Can I reverse the direction of the starter somehow? 

WHX??

Any chance you  have your battery cables reversed?

• Like 4

pfrederi
36 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

Any chance you  have your battery cables reversed?

I wondered about that...just tried an experiment with a battery and spare starter motor.  You are right.  Reverse the lead and it spins the wrong way.

• Like 3

WHX??

Basic DC theory Paul, I was also going to suggest somehow the brush/field polarity is reversed in the starter but not sure if that is even possible?

pfrederi
15 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

Basic DC theory Paul, I was also going to suggest somehow the brush/field polarity is reversed in the starter but not sure if that is even possible?

I wondered about this as it is common to switch old farm tractors from positive ground (popular in the 40s/50s) to negative ground.  It did not require changing eh starter motor or the genny (just re-polarize the generator.

Permanent  Magnets!!  Kohler starters have them old tractors did not. (Hence the stickers "Do not pound on the starter"

• Like 2

WHX??

I may have to get one of those stickers for the coffee pot! :lol:

6bg6ga
15 hours ago, pfrederi said:

I wondered about that...just tried an experiment with a battery and spare starter motor.  You are right.  Reverse the lead and it spins the wrong way.

Important to remember and for younger members to label starter wires when all cables are the same color.

RevyAjax

I bought a new battery, installed it and the everything is fine.... starter now turning the correct direction.  The 1975 c-100 has been brought back to life.

Regards

c

• Like 2