RevyAjax

C-100 Can' activate the starter

RevyAjax

I am trying to get my 1975 C-100 going and I cannot get the starter to roll over with the key.  I put a new starter on last year.  I can jump the starter off the Positive on the solenoid and it turns.  When I turn the key ,,,,,,, nothing.  When I jump the solenoid from the positive to the front terminal I get a click and the starter turns over.  I have bypassed the Clutch safety switch and spliced that connection and I believe my father-in-law did the same with the PTO.  I bought a new ignition key switch for $13 thinking that could be the problem........... not.  Can someone give me a little guidance on next steps I might do to track down the problem.  Also I have no spark at the plug but I want to get things turning over with the key before I work on the spark.  Any help is greatly appreciated.

Regards

c

pfrederi

Are you sure about the PTO switch??  Also is the new switch marked for a battery ignition (e.g there is an "I" terminal and no "M" terminal)

Back probe the ignition switch I terminal and see if yo have 12 volts there in the run position.  Do the same for the S terminal and turn the key to start, do you get a 12v reading.  if you do the problem is down stream...most likely one of the safety switches, clutch, PTO and seat.

• Like 1

squonk

Does it have an ammeter? A bad connection there will not supply enough juice to get to the starter thru all the switches and junk. :banana-wrench:electrician-smiley-emoticon.gif.14deaac02e89e5b357e32a22950984e5.gif

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:      This manual should help. With any electrical problem the first thing to do is clean and tighten all electrical connections including grounds.

• Like 1

RevyAjax

Thanks for your help.  I got the C-100 running yesterday.  Just a stupid thing on my part.  Had the wrong battery terminal on the wrong side of the solenoid.  Then worked not he no spark problem.  Pulled the fly wheel.  Stator contacts were totally coated with rust.  Polished them up, re-assembled and off she roared.  New breath for another life.

Regards

c

• Like 1