cafoose

GT-14 Nelson muffler

cafoose

I have a Nelson muffler and I was wondering if anyone has ever put one on a GT-14. :confusion-confused:I was wondering if it was possible and if the gas tank would be in the way?

953 nut

You would need to replace the elbow and pipe to get it out away from the tank and hood. I put a stack on mine, no problem. 

5930afeb90f2b_GT-14withFEL009.JPG.c249847ce835d052d5983fd03cad2147.JPG

• Like 5

fast88pu

Mine

IMG-20160512-00400.jpg

• Like 5

cafoose

20170416_194315.thumb.jpg.fb9f38b7c760661a50ef80eef244189a.jpg

3 hours ago, 953 nut said:

You would need to replace the elbow and pipe to get it out away from the tank and hood

I'm kind of thinking maybe a stack currently all I have is a short pipe coming from the block.

• Like 1

dells68

:-o  man, my ears are already hurting just looking at that picture!!  I say put a stack on the ole gal - just be sure to support it somehow to prevent the weight from cracking your block.  I just welded a tab on the pipe I used to extend it past the hood and ran a support up to the bar that connects the dash to the grill.  Been about a year and a half and has worked great.

cafoose

After reading this thread:

I'm thinking of this:

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/stanley-muffler-company-inlet-aluminized-muffler-ih-1?cm_vc=-10005

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/steel-rain-cap-for-1-1-2-in-to-1-9-16-in-outlet-pipes

8 hours ago, dells68 said:

:-o  man, my ears are already hurting just looking at that picture!!  I say put a stack on the ole gal - just be sure to support it somehow to prevent the weight from cracking your block.  I just welded a tab on the pipe I used to extend it past the hood and ran a support up to the bar that connects the dash to the grill.  Been about a year and a half and has worked great.

@dells68 do you have any pics of the tab and supports you welded on the pipe?

dells68

Not at this moment.  We're 4 hrs from home for my son's dr appt.  I'll try to snap a picture and post probably Sunday evening.

• Like 2

cafoose
9 minutes ago, dells68 said:

Not at this moment.  We're 4 hrs from home for my son's dr appt.  I'll try to snap a picture and post probably Sunday evening.

Not a problem I'm not going to do it in the near future anyway just exploring options

dells68

Slow but sure!  Here are some pictures of how I supported the muffler on my worker GT14.  I repowered it with a predator, but the same idea would work with a kohler.  Hope this idea helps!

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

• Like 3

cafoose
On 6/6/2017 at 10:03 PM, dells68 said:

Slow but sure!  Here are some pictures of how I supported the muffler on my worker GT14.  I repowered it with a predator, but the same idea would work with a kohler.  Hope this idea helps!

IMG_4790.JPG

IMG_4791.JPG

Looks good :handgestures-thumbupright:I never thought of doing it that way. My exhaust should be in today's mail but the mail arrived after I left for work :(

• Like 2

cafoose

I just looked at the muffler I got from @jimkemp and I think it will work great. :banana-rock:  :text-thankyouyellow: Jim for the excellent product. I really like how the holes are drilled all around the end where the chrome piece goes to allow for adjustment :handgestures-thumbupleft:

20170608_122550.jpg

20170608_122633.jpg

20170608_124504.jpg

20170608_124227.jpg

• Like 5

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:    Much nicer looking than mine!  Here is a snapshot of the brace on my stack. A bar runs from the frame up to the cross-member going to the grill, The electric fuel pump is on it and a brace for the stack.

59399daa9769d_Suburban004.JPG.98bbcc85f1a798c3176afeda07a85db5.JPG

• Like 2

ChaplainManny
On 6/1/2017 at 3:39 PM, cafoose said:

I have a Nelson muffler and I was wondering if anyone has ever put one on a GT-14. :confusion-confused:I was wondering if it was possible and if the gas tank would be in the way?

The gt14s came with a Nelson muffler nicknamed "The Coffee Can" due to its shape and size being similar to a coffee can.

If you'd like to see a pic of my engine with the coffee can muffler let me know.