John Casadonte

WH 269H Won't Crank

John Casadonte

I have a late 90's 269H with the Kohler 17HP motor.  After cutting for about 1 hour I turned it off, tried to start it about 10 minutes late and it would not crank.  The dash lights turn on (oil, battery, parking brake), I can hear/feel the relay click but the starter will not turn.

• All fuses checked
  • All relays checked
  • no broken/frayed wires

Solenoid will not engage when crossing the terminals with a screw driver and key switch in on position.  Is this a defacto solenoid issue or do I need to check other things?  Also, I am showing that the part number for the solenoid is: 52-435-02.  i found one at http://www.milfordpower.com/R12130-Starter-Solenoid-Replaces-Kohler-52-435-02S-p/r12130.htm

Thanks in advance for any direction or advice.

John

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:         With all electrical problems the first thing to do is clean and tighten all connections including grounds.   If you take a jumper from the battery "+" to the starter and it cranks then move the jumper to the starter side of the solenoid and it cranks that will tell you the starter and cable to it are good. Now if you run a jumper from the incoming cable to the outgoing cable on the solenoid and the starter works then put the jumper on the incoming cable and touch the small (ignition switch wire) wire and the solenoid doesn't close then it needs to be replaced.

gwest_ca

These 1996-1998 diagrams should help you understand the conditions that need to be met for the starter to function. Each circuit has it's own diagram.

Garry

Adding-

You can't simply jump the solenoid terminals to activate the solenoid on this model because the solenoid ground is also controlled by a relay.

• Like 1

DennisThornton

When the starter brushes get worn and short they sometimes don't make good contact with the commutator.  Try tapping the starter housing with a SMALL hammer.  Tapping!  Not pounding!  If she starts consider a starter replacement or rebuild.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• midpack
      By midpack
      I have a K341 that gave up a rod a while back. talk about "Big Bang Theory..." anyway, I tore it down to see how bad it got inside and to my surprise other than the rod, and the very bottom of the piston skirts the inside looks great!
      the crankpin looked like it might have taken some abuse but i used a white stone (lightly) and some polishing paper and it must have been debris from the rod or piston because it came right off.
      i took some measurements and it does show some wear. the crankpin measures 1.498 to 1.499 (low limit is 1.499) and out of round a full .001 (spec calls for .0005 max)
      the bore measures .002 out of the wear limits and is out of round about .005. going to need a new piston anyway and i can bore it at work . no problem there.

my question is, would you re-use the crank in that condition? I can't grind a crank at work...  lol
    • John Sullivan
      By John Sullivan
      Hi Everyone
      I am trying to locate the part number for the accessories belt that provides power from the mower deck to the pulleys to the double bagger on the 269H. Any and all help appreciated.
      Thank you
      John in Vermont

• Team70R
      By Team70R
      Two of my 606's both have battery trays and electric start. Both with factory 606 tags. Now my question is why not just get a 656 from the dealer ship? Was it cheaper to get a 606 and upgrade the starter? Both have the proper key ignition switches as well. 
    • kcuttuck
      By kcuttuck
      My 1978 C121 will not start. It will not crank over. The voltage at the battery post on the key switch is 12.3 volts. When I turn the key to the run position the voltage at the battery post on the key switch drops off.

I tested the clutch switch. good
      Replaced the key switch.
      Seat switch is bypassed. 

I am suspecting the PTO interlock switch but I have no idea how it works and how to test it. I am very mechanically inclined but I have never seen a switch like that before. 

Help Please.

Matt

• chevrat68
      By chevrat68
      Looking for any one who can help me locate a crank shaft for a k321. I think the M14 is the the same but not exactly sure. If somebody could point me in the right direction. 
      Thanks