DaleDewitt

37" Deck on a 314-8

DaleDewitt

Hello, new here. Need some advice from the pros!

putchased a 314-8 with a snowblower but no deck. Found a 37" deck from a 310-8 but from what I've read here so far it seems a 37" deck won't work? Or is it adaptable? Thanks in advance.

nylyon

The issue with the 37" deck is the front wheel clearance.  The 310's have 6" front wheels where I believe the 314's have 8".  To work properly, you could swap out the front wheels and axles from another machine and your 37" deck will work fine.  If you're interested in doing this, I have a 312-8 with 6" wheels which I would be willing to swap with you.

varosd

Welcome aboard Dale!

you will have to add some pictures as us WH addicts love to see other rigs.

with that 14 hp Kohler...you can go big on the deck. 

there are opinions on Rear vs Side discharge 36/42" decks.

plenty of decks on Cragslist between the "Whale of a state" CT to the big Wheel Horse show here in PA

my favorite is the 48" side discharge.

I do use the 42RD for leaf season as I tow a old Parker sweeper behind.

MalMac

Not 100% sure on this but I believe that the 37" decks used a double v-belt on the pto to deck belt. The mule drive will need to have two V pulleys instead of the normal V and one flat pulley.

evanloock

Appears the last iteration of the 37 inch deck (produced after 1996?) replaced a v-idler at the mule drive and front of the deck with flat idler pulleys and used a standard v-belt.  I'm sure the older 6-sided belt versions could be converted by replacing those 2 pulleys.

dcrage
1 hour ago, MalMac said:

Not 100% sure on this but I believe that the 37" decks used a double v-belt on the pto to deck belt. The mule drive will need to have two V pulleys instead of the normal V and one flat pulley.

The 37" SD deck may or may not use the 6 sided double v-belt. Depends on the actual model # of the deck. I believe the later made 37" SD (mine is a 1990 (?) model) use normal v-belt with the 'normal'  pulley configuration referred to above. 

DaleDewitt

What size decks will fit this model? I have to get a mule drive also, are the mule drives specific to the deck size?

nylyon

That's what the guys are saying, the mule drive depends on the actual 37" model you have.  You should post a picture and model number to be sure you get what you need.  The deck will likely hit the front wheel if you have 8" wheels. Moving to a 36, 42 or 48" deck you can run them with your 8" wheels and a standard mule drive.

DaleDewitt

Didn't realize I could run a 48 that gives me another options. I was looking at 42 and 36 

nylyon

Yep, the 48" should work fine on a 14HP, and if you were so inclined, you can still buy a 42 or 48" brand new.

DaleDewitt

The 37" deck I found is 05-37SC01

nylyon

I am out of my element with the 37" deck, but that one takes the 6 sided belt and does not use the standard mule drive, but if you get the deck with the mule drive you're fine.  See post #4 and #5.  You're still going to have the issue with the wheel unless you swap them out for the 6" versions.  

Big_Red_Fred

Hello Men, this is another New Member, I purchased a 310-8 for my son, it sat 9 years in a garage, after a little cleaning & a new 1/4 in gas line to the carb, it ran like new, the man i bought it from said it had Gator blades on it ? My son said after he adjusted the deck from underneath it leaves a strip of grass like the blades are not long enough, Do the blades need Timed ? some Troybilts are that way, Any help id be happy & so will Alex, You will see us at that Big show, I'm Shopn for a 520-80502171954.jpg.91951f2b0abe447afd3bbde589b46949.jpg

dcrage

Blades DO NOT need timing. If the blades are the correct size (I have only used OEM blades on my 37") then the strip is probably a function of an out of plumb deck. You can hit things really hard with these tractors. I have done so many times.  I do know that my 37" leaves a small strip when turning. I haven't figured out the weird geometry going on there yet. 

Big_Red_Fred

Thanks Dave, i didnt know what to look for, it was cutting uneven yesterday he said, we didnt know theres adjustment linkage at deck he told me, said it was 2 inches at front & 4 at rear, so he messed around with it & figured it out, said its cutting even other then the strip between blades, i'm getting old ;-)

DaleDewitt

Found these decks  today seller doesn't know what they are but is willing to sell me one. Wonder if any of you guys can identify and tell me if either will work on my 314-8.

wh1.jpg

wh2.jpg

wh3.jpg

dcrage

The 2 mounted on the tractors will for sure attach. They are horizontal shaft engines as is your 314. Not sure what the stand alone deck is. Some one else will need to confirm it is suitable for your tractor. 

nylyon

The one on the tractor looks like a 48", that's a good one. The one off the Tractor doesn't have greasable spindles, and likely has double D blades. Take the one mounted on the tractor!

Big_Red_Fred

Hey Dave, don't 300 & 400 series fit each other ? 

dcrage

WH garden tractor implements from sometime in the 70s forward are interchangeable. They will fit on 300, 400, & 500 series tractors with a few size exceptions. 37" SD need the 6" front wheels; 60" decks need big engines (18-20 HP) and bigger front axles; likewise the 2 stage snow blower.  The C series and horizontal engine B tractors are included with the above tractors. 

C-195s, D series, & the 5xxi tractors have their own implements. 

So so to answer your question the same implements fit on 300 and 400 series tractors. 

Edited by dcrage

Big_Red_Fred

I'm picking up a C series in Maryland on June 11, my mind is slipping at 57 but i do think its a 175 LOL, must be the Diesel Fumes for last 40 years

hm12460

A handful of years ago I had a 312-8 with the 37" deck and bagger. Did not like the 6" wheels at all, so got a pair of"skinny" 8" front wheels and put 4.80x8" tires on them and it worked fine. Just another option to consider.

DaleDewitt

Finally found a deck $175 works great, picked up the mule drive with it. 

image.jpg

Now I just need a new seat!