Tgtack

1968 Raider 9/10 is back

Tgtack

I guess I now "officially" own a 1968 Raider 9/10 (some had "9" and some had "10" decals?), while digging through the boxes of piece parts, I found the ID tag for it. Since I have the tag, it moved from parts donor to future restore. It will take some work, the head stand has major stress cracks, and is missing the lower mounting plate on the left side (broken off). The original engine is in a box of parts, and the solid state ignition is shot. No steering wheel, no seat, none of the dash components. Broken hub welded to the left rear axle 😡. Does have fully functioning 6 speed transaxle, decent fender pan with the correct tail light, original dash panel plate, best fitting hood I have seen yet, 0 play front axle and steering gear,  and what appears to be the complete speed attachment plates and bell crank assembly for a 1968 42"SD deck (no deck). 

So, Model # 1-6931, Serial # 466813 (decal marked as a Raider 10) is back from the dead.

As a side note, I bought this whole collection of parts (mix of Raider 10 and Commando 8 stuff and three engines, for $150 primarily for the set of vintage General Tire AG tires in the picture for my 854 restore.

20170531_092651-1.jpg

00J0J_7vyR2VhcybO_1200x900.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 6

Kyle6294

Hello, I’m new to this forum, and new to wheel horses. I recently purchased a barn that had a wheel horse raider 10 in it, or that’s what the decal says. I looked up the model number (16931) serial (489765), and is says it’s a raider 9. Has a tecumsch motor. Needed a head gasket and throttle cable to make it run, we made the repairs and it seems to run like a top. I still need to get a belt from motor to deck. I am curious what it’s worth? I don’t really have the space or need for it. Also missing battery, I have been using a jump pack to start it.

2E46B47B-5690-48B2-AB5C-5944FBF4D0B3.jpeg

4565910C-172E-45BB-ABAC-0FE2885D0B8A.jpeg

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, Kyle6294 said:

. I am curious what it’s worth?

:WRS:

A running :wh: with a deck should fetch $ 250 or a bit more in the condition shown. If you pit a battery in it and begin using it you will fall in love with it and never want to sell it!

Kyle6294

Thanks, the more I’ve checkout out this forum I think I’ll be keeping it for a project with the kids.

• Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

carter.norbisrath

I have a Raider 10 identical to this. I can’t find any decals that look like these ones for a raider 10. I can find them for a raider 9 with the same hood decals, but not a raider ten. 

953 nut
9 minutes ago, carter.norbisrath said:

I have a Raider 10 identical to this. I can’t find any decals that look like these ones for a raider 10. I can find them for a raider 9 with the same hood decals, but not a raider ten. 

:WRS:

We have a vendor here that can fix you up.

https://www.redoyourhorse.com/raider-10-hood-stand-badge-decals/

raider_10_red_grey_badge_6_speed__99264.1484329554.1280.1280.png?c=2

carter.norbisrath

Thank you! I found all the decals I needed on the suggested website.

Edited by carter.norbisrath
I found what I needed on the suggested website
  • Thanks 1

carter.norbisrath

Where might I find shift knobs and a steering wheel and things of that nature

953 nut
6 hours ago, carter.norbisrath said:

Where might I find shift knobs and a steering wheel and things of that nature

Best bet for parts would be a wanted ad on our classifieds.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/classifieds/wanted/?do=form&d=2

D_Ram

So how do you know if it is a Raider 9 or a Raider 10 if the decal is missing? Differences?

1968-Raider9or10.jpg

pfrederi

Check theTecumseh engine model #.  if it ends in a c it is a 10 if it ends in a B it is a 9

• Like 1

D_Ram
1 hour ago, pfrederi said:

Check theTecumseh engine model #.  if it ends in a c it is a 10 if it ends in a B it is a 9

Awesome thanks. So is what I previously read accurate, the Raider 9 (B engine) is a 9hp and the Raider 10 a 10hp?

Rfp55

A 68 raider 9 is the 6 slot tapered grill. A 70-72 Raider 10 is the square grill (70+). All 10's I have seen locally had Kohler engines. Tractor Data says a 388 cc "10hp" Tecumseh was available, but was still the 388 cc that was called Raider 9 in '68. Possibly other changes. I have a 69 Charger V8 Wheel Horse and like the older look. It's What was new when I was young guy.

pfrederi

Some raider 10s came with HH100  like this one.

As far as the horsepower Techy labelled engines HH60 6hp  HH80 8 Hp HH100 10 hp  There was no HH90.  I have a feeling the 9hp rating by WH was more of a marketing thing than an actual engineering statement.

IMG_3533.JPG

IMG_3531.JPG

• Like 1

oldredrider

My guess on the Raider 9 was that the Teccy was rated at about 9.6 HP, couldn't qualify as a "10". Honesty was a policy back then..........