wigglinpins

416 H Problem

wigglinpins

I recently picked up a 416H that has been stored in a barn for over 15 years, the serial number list it as a 1991 model.  The tractor has just 211 actual hours, but the back rod on the engine is broken, it has a onan P216 engine.  I knew the original owenr and I remember when he purchased this tractor new from a local dealer.  I removed and disassembled the engine to find the extent of damage and was surprised that the only damage I could see was just the broken rod and the skirt on one of the pistons was broken, probably by the pieces of the rod flailing around.  My question to the members is, do you think it would be worth repairing this engine and where do I find parts????.  I checked on eBay without much luck but I do have some leads from some of the local's that work on lawn equipment. 

If this thing is worth repairing and I can find the parts necessary to complete the repair job it would save it from the scrap yard.

Any input would be surely appreciated.  If anyone has parts, contact me.

I'll try to post some pics if the weather ever improves, we had nothing but rain here for the last few weeks.

I paid a whoppin $50 for the tractor, snow blade, iron wheel weights and chains.  The deck has a little rust but is in otherwise excellent condition.  Tell me where I went wrong ????

If the crank is toast, I'll look for another engine or a replacement of some kind.  I have a friend coming over to mice the crank this weekend, that will give me a direction as to which way I'm going to go on this project.  The family that owned this is moving out of state and they had to get rid of it.  They were getting ready to load it up for a trip to the junk yard when I happened to stop in.  They said $50 and it's yours.

I have had horses for 35+ years starting with a C100 then to a 12H and now this one.  I have all summer to find what I need to get this going so I'm hoping to find what I need to get it up and running.

Edited by wigglinpins
additional Info.

953 nut

:WRS:      Place a wanted ad in the classified section on here. A low hour :wh: like that is well worth saving.

• Like 1

nylyon

@onanparts.com

I for one like the Onan, if the only damage is the piston and rod, I would fix the engine.

• Like 5

JAinVA

I have to admit I really like the smoothness and power of an Onan.If you only need a piston and rod it will be worth repairing.With that many hours why the rod failure?I would examine all the internal parts carefully.You will need to flush the fuel tank and replace all the lines and filters.There are a lot of electrical connections that will need to be checked if it has been sitting for that many years.I ran into the same issues with my last 416h and to check out the transaxle,lift system and general shape of the machine I put a cheap Honda clone on in place of the Onan.While I'm checking the Onan out I can use the machine and the price was reasonable.You have many options.Once you get the machine up and running you will really like it.

• Like 3

cleat

I love my Onan's as well.

I would try and fix it.

• Like 1

benji756

Check with Boomer on here he may have what you need to fix it.

• Like 1

onanparts.com
5 hours ago, nylyon said:

@onanparts.com

I for one like the Onan, if the only damage is the piston and rod, I would fix the engine.

Whenever I say I like Onan's I'm accused of being biased! That's OK, cuz I am! :)

• Like 5