TravelinJavelin

C-120 amp meter hook up?

TravelinJavelin

was wondering how does one hook up the amp meter ? mine someone at one time rewired mine and didn't bother rewiring the gauge it would be nice to see it work

slammer302

The positive side of the meter goes to a power source when the key is on and the negative goes to a ground.

TravelinJavelin

ok so if I took my positive wire from the amp meter and ran to the positive terminal to my battery and negative wire from amp meter to the negative terminal this will work?

BOB ELLISON

On my C160 which is probably the very same wiring as yours the amp meter wire goes to the positive side of the starter solenoid the other lead goes to the B on the ignition switch. My amp meter was bad therefore the tractor would not start so I had to bypass the amp meter. I added a volt meter to mine instead. It is wired differently then the amp meter.

The B terminal has to go to the battery for the engine start it may be bad is why it's not wired.

• Like 3

TravelinJavelin

ahhhhh ok well that's good to know thank you ........its funny I almost said the positive side of the solenoid but its been 25 years or better since I've done this stuff back in the days when I ran ford falcon stuff and had generators and you had to polarize the new regulators LOL

hey bob just to make sure i'm on the right track...........if i'm looking at the amp gauge the post on terminal on the left goes to the posi side of the solenoid and the right side amp gauge terminal goes to the battery B terminal on the starter?

BOB ELLISON

The voltage has to pass through the amp meter to the switch and if it's bad the starter switch won't work. I think it's not a good design because a lot guys had problems with the amp meters.

TravelinJavelin

ok so I take it it doesn't matter which terminals on the amp gauge other than one goes to the solenoid and one goes to the battery side of the key switch terminal correct?

Edited by TravelinJavelin

BOB ELLISON

I can't remember if it has a positive side or not .I do know if you don't go through the switch it will draw your battery down. Look at the the amp meter and if it has a + by one post use it for positive and if  it doesn't when you hook it up it will either read correctly or the needle will go the wrong way. You can test it by connecting it from pos to ground. But you must wire it through the switch B terminal so it won't kill the battery.

TravelinJavelin

ok thank you very much!

gwest_ca
5 hours ago, slammer302 said:

The positive side of the meter goes to a power source when the key is on and the negative goes to a ground.

This is how a voltmeter is wired - not an ammeter.

Using an ammeter the power goes into the meter and back out so the circuit needs to be controlled by a switch.

Garry

• Like 1

6bg6ga

Ammeters and volt meters are simple.  The ammeter shows you what is going to the battery in amperage minus the current draw from say lights or other battery operated devices.  The volt meter shows the voltage present at the battery. Note*  You can have for example 14.6 volts at the battery with a healthy charging system with a questionable battery. The volt meter simply shows the voltage not necessarily the condition of the battery.

People have the mistaken conception that a voltage reading of say 14 volts means the battery is ok and this is not necessarily so.

953 nut

Here is a simplified drawing of where the amp meter is placed in a circuit.

592d49e822988_1ampmeter.jpg.5a8ee52d88209d6f79667e8395cb31c5.jpg

• Like 1

Racinbob
8 hours ago, TravelinJavelin said:

ok so if I took my positive wire from the amp meter and ran to the positive terminal to my battery and negative wire from amp meter to the negative terminal this will work?

No, don't do that. That would short it out. Ammeters are wired in series. Note the diagram 953 nut posted. If you'd let us know what model tractor you have we could show you the correct diagram. :)

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

I thought for sure I put in C-120 1976

4 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

No, don't do that. That would short it out. Ammeters are wired in series. Note the diagram 953 nut posted. If you'd let us know what model tractor you have we could show you the correct diagram. :)

Hey Bob its in the title of the thread

Racinbob

My apologies. I didn't notice it in the title. Here's the owners manual that will have the wiring diagram in it.

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

no prob bob you had me scratchin my head myself for a second there LOL!

Racinbob

Nuts, no diagram in the manual. I'll keep looking. :)

TravelinJavelin

ok thank you I down loaded it and I noticed no wiring diagram

Racinbob

OK, here's a 1977 diagram. the 76 and 77 were identical. Notice that the ammeter is wired in series. The + and - on an ammeter can confuse folks. The - does not go to the - side of the battery or ground. It's really a reference for lack of a better way to put it. If you wire it backwards it will operate backwards.

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

thank you

TravelinJavelin

well I experimented and not sure if its actually working or not? I did a quick hook up and seems to when in idle the needle waves short little strokes then reved up it stays in the middle no waving until I reved all the way up any idea's on this......is it working it seems like it is but I can't say for certain?

Racinbob

It sounds like it's working. A little pulsing at idle is common. Revved up if your battery is fully charged it will hold in the middle. If the battery needs charging the needle should go to the + side. That's providing everything is in working order. :)

• Like 1

pfrederi

Turn the head lights on with out the engine running for 5 minutes or so...The start her up needle should show charge for a minute f two before settling down to zero

• Like 1

TravelinJavelin

hey want to thank everyone for here for the help we got it to work and works goodm, wired up my head lights too got them to work and tried load test and meter fluctuates with them on and off I'm thinking its working the way it should!

• Like 1