Tgtack

The things former owners do, "shakes head" (pics).

RedRanger
On 5/31/2017 at 7:23 PM, 6bg6ga said:

Like I said before you do great work but if you have fabricated the parts yourself in my mind you cannot call them 100% horse but rather a copy. A very good copy nun the less but still a copy.

So a man with a knee replacement is no longer a man?   Just a copy eh?  GTFO  Your logic is ridiculous and an insult to half the people on this site who have repaired their Horse by fabricating parts.

10 hours ago, Tankman said:

I think this thread should be trashed.

It was.  As soon as 6bg started spewing.  :lol:

• Like 4

RedRanger
3 hours ago, WHX11 said:

Ok Tg ...you asked for it .. be warned you might get both barrels... why would anyone do this for a shift boot rubber  rather than get one from @wheelhorseman1000 who sells them by the boatload for less than what I pay for a pack  of cigaretttes?? 

20170601_172213.jpg

Because they had Duct Tape on hand?  I bet it did the job for years.  Duct tape and a hammer.....that's all that's in my toolbox!  :text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

WHX??

Tuna cans for pulley covers anyone?? Some would call it "character" :lol:

20150908_195848.jpg

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 8

Racinbob

Sorry for the lousy picture. It's a few decades old.

My Dad, God bless him, was most definitely a guy that make things work the way he wanted them and was responsible for some things that didn't seem out of place way back in the day but would make guys cringe now. His second new Wheel Horse was a 704. It wasn't long before he discovered that the air cleaner on a K-181 was larger than the one on a K-161 and that's what he wanted on his. With the difficult access to the motor he typically would have just left the hood off but I talked him out of it. Maybe I should have kept my mouth shut? :doh:

59316410c46dd_WheelHorseaircleaner.JPG.fd87bb5d741151cc97a1e50c34df6af9.JPG

• Like 7

WHX??

Sounds like my kinda guy Bob... funny he didn't put on one of those gimbaled beverage holders or did you talk him out of that too?

5 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

that's what he wanted on his.

Which brings up another reason why...some guys just say it's my horse and I'll do what I like to it....they are right and that's ok with me too!

• Like 6

RedRanger
1 hour ago, WHX11 said:

Tuna cans for pulley covers anyone?? Some would call it "character" :lol:

20150908_195848.jpg

I like the idea.  Too bad it's no longer a Wheel Horse.  

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 5

Tgtack

Those tuna cans are definately functional!

RedRanger
1 minute ago, Tgtack said:

Those tuna cans are definately functional!

As the owner of a 401, I can testify to the dangerous character of that there pulley.  

• Like 2

WHX??

I still have them if you would like to incorporate them into a build Tg!

Ooops ...sorry Red Ranger just called dibs... prolly doesn't want to wreck his copy of a knee! :ychain:

It wasn't the tuna cans it was the holes drilled into an orginal (as in from 1961) belt guard. Now I have to weld in those holes, grind & paint & end up with a copy!

I cannot vouch for the fact that they are indeed factory original tuna cans, they might have been cat food cans or copies thereof.

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 5

TDF5G
17 hours ago, J.A. said:

I guess it's just the negativity and way you present your opinion that creates the issue here. We were talking about what people that own these tractors do to them that doesn't make sense to us as collectors in the hobby. Nothing more really. You basicly went off and started bashing someone's hard work and fabrication on THIER tractor that THEY own and stating that it makes the tractor a copy and not a real wheel horse. My OPINION along with many others I'm assuming at this point is "OK Buddy", we get it. You rightfully excerised your right to free speech by stating your opinion, soooooooo, let's move on. Let's all get back to shooting the breeze and enjoying our forum and talking about wheel horse tractor related topics. 

:text-yeahthat:

• Like 7

Sarge

I bought my first Wheel Horse in the early 2k's....the original 1277 that had already had a pretty tough life . Deck was bent , hadn't run in years but hey - it had a solid Kohler in it and was really heavy in comparison to my second hand Husky from TSC . The buddy I bought from had talked about the merits of the brand so I bit the bullet and gave him $125 for it - money well spent . I'll be the first to admit that initial mods/repairs were less than stellar but they worked and have since been corrected . It's done a staggering amount of work in that time and been repaired , modified some to suit whatever I need at that time and still remains my favorite tractor . Sitting now with a broken rear frame plate waiting to again be repaired and put back into service for more pain and sweat - the thing refuses to die and I refuse to give up on it as a result . About the only thing I can compare is my wife or my first car - both have lasted me far longer than I deserved then or now and at least I still have the wife - Illinois roads/salt killed the old Dodge long ago after almost 14yrs of very hard service and 300,000 miles . I put over 400,000 miles total on an '88-1/2 Suzuki Samurai , all the while lifting and modifying it to point of unrecognizeable abomination but boy did that thing perform well as a daily beater/trail rig . This old Horse , by comparison is going to last much longer , just since it's smaller and easier to work on and has to be the handiest "tool" I've ever owned . From simple mowing to grading a ball field , laying out a new driveway and leveling out 14 tons of rock in one day - it's never failed me yet to complete a job . A lot of the "repairs" over the years will be corrected properly this time , and I regret drilling some holes here and there but have the welding skills to fix that along with making a much better rear frame plate section and beefing the frame some to prevent it's spine breaking again . I'm as guilty as anyone here or more about doing a quick fix that needs re-done later to keep working , but it never complains and I don't regret what I've done to get by at times - it just turns into another project later and now I have heavier/newer equipment to do chores with while it's down . Part of the problem over the years was it being a lone Horse around here that had to do it all and it handled that job just fine . Now , I consider it semi-retired and deserves some greater attention and maybe even a new paint job to boot . I've had a full set of decals from Terry for about 6yrs now , good enough excuse to use them and get it done right this time .

I shake my head when I look at it and all it's battle scars , but that is character earned from so many years of service - if it wasn't so valuable as a worker the thing should be bronzed and made into a memorial in the front yard , it's done that much work around this area...and is quite well known to everyone here locally . That is an honor few garden tractors can ever earn ...

Sarge

• Like 6

Texas Todd

00606_k52LGuHJKDf_1200x900.jpg

• Like 6

stratostar250

Laundry Detergent cap, anyone?!  :laughing-rofl: :laughing-rofl:

5934739d7f0e4_ldcap.jpg.5964a35df9ca22a726d5d0335067ddd7.jpg

• Like 6

953 nut
On 6/1/2017 at 5:04 PM, Tgtack said:

as far as I am concerned, it is a Wheel Horse. Whether it be one of a handful of just off the showroom floor NOS units, or is someone's hot little rat rod, it is still a Wheel Horse. Like previously mentioned, they are never going to be an all numbers matching

So the 953 that I replaced the condenser and points on is Wheel Horse; what a relief!     :clap:

• Like 5

JPWH

How about a seat mod.

56b202a47d917_post-14549-0-01576900-14295130451.jpg.1a35231c2ea362088c3e6bcb69ce4a72.jpg.536d8591d32db0590b6cef85c677736d.jpg

• Like 2

Tankman
4 minutes ago, JPWH said:

How about a seat mod.

56b202a47d917_post-14549-0-01576900-14295130451.jpg.1a35231c2ea362088c3e6bcb69ce4a72.jpg.536d8591d32db0590b6cef85c677736d.jpg

Excellent Horse! Don't wreck the Stallion using your ingenuity!

If NOS parts aren't available, just call the scrap man.  :ROTF:

Don't you dare give up and no green paint.....or else!

• Like 3

Tgtack
57 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

So the 953 that I replaced the condenser and points on is Wheel Horse; what a relief!     :clap:

Of course!

• Like 2

Al C.

Hmmm, a couple years ago I had the mechanism in my left ear surgically removed and replaced with a prosthetic mechanism.  The mechanism I was born with had gone bad.  

So, I guess I should have applied for a new social security number afterwards.  ... the way I look at it, if it started out as a Wheel Horse, anything that is done to it to keep it alive is preserving a Wheel Horse.  Great looking tractors!

• Like 6

AlwaysLookin80
1 hour ago, JPWH said:

How about a seat mod.

How bout you sell me this guy!!!!!😂

• Like 1

JPWH
14 minutes ago, J.A. said:

How bout you sell me this guy!!!!!😂

KIMG0336.jpg.e1758009a7daee237b614008b5b0422d.jpg

I think I better keep him a while.

• Like 6

AlwaysLookin80

Oh he's done. Thought he looked the same lol

WHX??

C'mon Hank is that really the same tractor??? If it is :bow-blue: x 5000!

• Like 1

JPWH
7 hours ago, WHX11 said:

C'mon Hank is that really the same tractor??? If it is :bow-blue: x 5000!

Same one. Still have the seat frame if anybody wants it. lol

• Like 1

6bg6ga
13 hours ago, Texas Todd said:

00606_k52LGuHJKDf_1200x900.jpg

The new light weight model. The "quietrun series."

• Like 2

Texas Todd
1 hour ago, 6bg6ga said:

The new light weight model. The "quietrun series."

The "inverted hub" series

invhub.jpg.ec84ecdff27bb677b8397a3fb271e753.jpg