BigRed84

Engine Rebuild or Replace

BigRed84

I'm sitting here watching Memphis Belle, and I know there are a lot of veterans and active military folks here so first and foremost thank you for your service, and Happy Memorial Day.  

As for my question, I've mentioned it briefly in a couple of other random threads I made about other related things, but as of yesterday I'm getting nervous, as I saw my first puff of smoke when throttling up after she idle'd for a minute or two while I was greasing the front hubs.  It did clear up after a second or two, but with the ticking noise and now that, I feel like it may be time to gather info and seriously consider a rebuild or replacement.  I don't know where to start.  I've dealt with Knights in Orange and that's actually the dealer that my Dad originally purchased this 314-H from.  The kohler fires right up on the first try no matter how long it sits.  I have recently done an oil change, fuel filter and lines, cleaned the carb, new spark plug, and was in the process of taking it apart one panel at a time for paint.  I just dumped some money into rear ag tires, and front deestone tri-ribs on new rims so I really would hate to have to scrap the project.  That being said here are my questions: 

1.  Anyone have first hand experience rebuilding or giving any shop in CT their business to rebuild?  I've been told Knights is still good, and recently heard about Schmidt's and Serafin's in Waterbury but have yet to deal with them.  

2.  Busy season aside, once the job is started is this rebuild generally completed within a month or is this like a season long thing?

3.  General price range to expect, are we talking $500, $1000, $2000??  Obviously there's a point where i'm sure it just makes more sense to buy used 520H on CL....i see a lot going for around $2000 in great shape.  

4.  IF for any reason the engine can't be rebuilt (I don't know why, but on dealer i'm hesitant about told me if it smokes they wont rebuild it) can these engines be bought new?  

Thanks for any info.....even if it's something i'm not addressing, feel free to give me your input in general.  

• Like 1

Jerry77
3 hours ago, BigRed84 said:

one dealer i'm hesitant about told me if it smokes they wont rebuild it

I won't be able to help you much, but that statement is ridiculous - stay away from them...:twocents-02cents:  good help will be along afterwhile..

• Like 4

953 nut

A little puff of smoke is no big deal to me and as Jerry said, stay away from anyone that thinks a Kohler can't be rebuilt; they are idiots!

Not being from your area I don't know anything about the shops in your neck of the woods. I would go to equipment rental stores and ask them who they use for engine service. They want the job done right but are thrifty so would think they know who to use, and who to avoid.

• Like 6

Searcher60

If you can find a low hour 520, 416, or another 314, I would do that. Then, sell yours on CL. You are better off with a low hour tractor. It's not only the engine, it's the whole package that has wear on it. Good luck! Oh, and a genuine Kohler piston, rings and rod will run about $400-450, bore $75, grind crank, $75, gasket set $40, and then there's the labor. But maybe you can get by with a ring job. 

BigRed84

Thanks, the more I search and talk to you guys here, the less I'm concerned with the little bit of smoke I see.  I'll be sure to stay away from the dealer that mentioned no rebuilds on a smoking engine.  I thought that sounded kind of strange.  I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse or starts drinking oil.  

• Like 2

6bg6ga
On ‎5‎/‎29‎/‎2017 at 11:16 AM, BigRed84 said:

I'm sitting here watching Memphis Belle, and I know there are a lot of veterans and active military folks here so first and foremost thank you for your service, and Happy Memorial Day.  

As for my question, I've mentioned it briefly in a couple of other random threads I made about other related things, but as of yesterday I'm getting nervous, as I saw my first puff of smoke when throttling up after she idle'd for a minute or two while I was greasing the front hubs.  It did clear up after a second or two, but with the ticking noise and now that, I feel like it may be time to gather info and seriously consider a rebuild or replacement.  I don't know where to start.  I've dealt with Knights in Orange and that's actually the dealer that my Dad originally purchased this 314-H from.  The kohler fires right up on the first try no matter how long it sits.  I have recently done an oil change, fuel filter and lines, cleaned the carb, new spark plug, and was in the process of taking it apart one panel at a time for paint.  I just dumped some money into rear ag tires, and front deestone tri-ribs on new rims so I really would hate to have to scrap the project.  That being said here are my questions: 

1.  Anyone have first hand experience rebuilding or giving any shop in CT their business to rebuild?  I've been told Knights is still good, and recently heard about Schmidt's and Serafin's in Waterbury but have yet to deal with them.  

2.  Busy season aside, once the job is started is this rebuild generally completed within a month or is this like a season long thing?

3.  General price range to expect, are we talking $500, $1000, $2000??  Obviously there's a point where i'm sure it just makes more sense to buy used 520H on CL....i see a lot going for around $2000 in great shape.  

4.  IF for any reason the engine can't be rebuilt (I don't know why, but on dealer i'm hesitant about told me if it smokes they wont rebuild it) can these engines be bought new?  

Thanks for any info.....even if it's something i'm not addressing, feel free to give me your input in general.  

Not trying to be a smart asp but you have to look at the bottom line.  The money spent and the quality of the job that was done.  In todays world you generally get what you pay for. Pay $200 for a rebuild and it might come back with parts missing or heaven forbid China parts inside it.  Pay for that gold plated $400 piston and rod and she will run another lifetime and possibly not yours.  Today they are mini Cadillac's the manufacturers and parts dealers know how much you want that new piston, rod, and ring set and unfortunately they know you will fork out the money grit your teeth and buy the parts. Its too bad someone hasin't contacted a piston manufacturer like say TRW for example and got a cost estimate to build 1K or more pistons and rods. To my line of thinking if you can buy a set of 8 pistons for say $400 that should make a $50 small engine piston within reach.

Molon_Labe
7 hours ago, BigRed84 said:

Thanks, the more I search and talk to you guys here, the less I'm concerned with the little bit of smoke I see.  I'll be sure to stay away from the dealer that mentioned no rebuilds on a smoking engine.  I thought that sounded kind of strange.  I guess I'll just keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse or starts drinking oil.  

Keep doing standard maintenance on that old Kohler. Change the oil every 25 hours and top it off as necessary before each use. Kohler's that use a little oil will run for decades as long as you do your due diligence and keep them lubricated. And don't forget the air filter!

• Like 5

Uncle Buck
1 hour ago, Molon_Labe said:

Keep doing standard maintenance on that old Kohler. Change the oil every 25 hours and top it off as necessary before each use. Kohler's that use a little oil will run for decades as long as you do your due diligence and keep them lubricated. And don't forget the air filter!

Agreed, this is a great course of action for sure.

• Like 1