Elkskin's mower junkyard

my dads 502 repaint

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Later today i am going to start taking apart dads 502 for a repaint.we got everything for it except decals. it will run around decalless for a while until we get the money for the decals. dad was just diagnosed with lung cancer  last week. soooo i am wanting to get his wheel horse done for him, engine isnts getting a repaint because its in decent shape top tin will and the airfilter assembly will. the rest of the machine will get complete bear metal sanding and repaint. going to use regal red.heres a couple before pictures and a picture from a few years ago also when it comes to serial number i dont know what we will do. this thing has no serial number. so @Vinylguy what you do in these situations when we get money to order the decals. 

0525171829-00.jpg

0525171829-02.jpg

0525171835-00.jpg

IMG_0270.JPG

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard

got the rims sanded and primered and one side painted. rustoliums gloss white this is a quick repaint. just to freshen it up. dads wearing a mask and helping out with a drill and the black wheel. hes on blood thinner (due to blood clot) so i wont let him near wire wheel

0530171846-00.jpg

0530172030-00.jpg

0530172030-01.jpg

• Like 4

Elkskin's mower junkyard

primer laid down. the dash tower has a cotton weed blow on it. one reason why i hate painting outside. but ill get it off tomorrow before shooting red. on the dash tower hanging on clothes line i put jb weld in has a filler due to major pitting, and i hate bondo so i heard of people using it so figured give it a shot and i didnt sand the jb weld down but looks good.the tower holding the tank is the 702 parts machine tower and its in need of alot of welding lol

0601171826-00.jpg

0601171826-01.jpg

0601171826-02.jpg

0601171827-01.jpg

0601171827-03.jpg

0601171827-04.jpg

• Like 9

Texas Todd

Alot of work goes into that. And plenty more to come! But well worth it in the end. Giving that horse another 50 years of life!

• Like 2

JPWH

Looking good. You have a paint booth just like mine.

• Like 5

Elkskin's mower junkyard

i got red on ( had to use rattle can to touch up missed areas) but ummmm i forgot pics lol. all parts are in my shed. i did sell a parts machine and was able to order decals

Edited by craftsmanmowerfreak
  • Like 1

JC 1965

Looks great so far. Can't wait til you get it all back together. Keep us updated.    :thumbs2:

ohiofarmer

If you have a few issues from painting the finish coat outside, do not despair. If your paint has some decent build, you can easily remove orange peel and dirt specks with color sanding. What you do is start with 1000 grit and Windex to lightly massage some of the defects away. The sanded areas will appear dull and the little pits or low spots will appear as shiny areas. Do not stay with the 1000 grit very long. Then take out the scratches left from the 1000 grit with 1500 and then 2000. Leave some of the low spots alone. After all, even cars have a bit of orange peel.

Then, it is on to the Meguiars. fine cut cleaner https://www.harborfreight.com/16-oz-meguiars-fine-cut-cleaner-62561.html

Then make it shine with this https://www.amazon.com/Meguiars-Mirror-Glaze-Swirl-Remover/dp/B0002SQVX0.

The advantage to using Mequiars abrasives is you can paint after using them in case you burn through.These pictures show the different stages of sanding and buffing. Te key thing is to sand lightly and let the paper do the cutting and CHANGE the paper before you think you need to. BTW, I am not super experienced at this as this is my first attempt. The one showing the most low spots is a motorcycle fender with maybe a half hour total [with 800 grit] constantly checking by drying it off and checking for progress. The tank is after 2000 grit starting to polish. and of course the completed fender.

Paint is Rustoleum with hardener out of a Harbor Freight $29.00 HVLP gun

You can do all this by hand with slightly damp T-shirts and they need to be CLEAN. You could always practice on a hidden area like behind the belt guard to get a feel for things.062.JPG.824c8afc9eb0d3c453b26345f943c59a.JPG050.JPG.06861b14d24966dffa7c13465de73420.JPG051.JPG.e2a77821cfaea8ea7ba039a52f98c477.JPG050.JPG.06861b14d24966dffa7c13465de73420.JPG062.JPG.824c8afc9eb0d3c453b26345f943c59a.JPG

051.JPG

050.JPG

062.JPG

Edited by ohiofarmer
  • Like 6

Elkskin's mower junkyard

my dads 502 is coming along well. going to continue assembling till we hit the stopping point until decals come in

0608171327-00.jpg

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard

almost to stopping point lol

0608171814-00.jpg

0608171815-00.jpg

• Like 3

Texas Todd

What is this stopping point you keep speaking of? :think:

Lookin good! Full steam ahead!

Elkskin's mower junkyard
3 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

What is this stopping point you keep speaking of? :think:

Lookin good! Full steam ahead!

decals are somewhere in transit lol Vinylguy sent them out this morning

Texas Todd

Are you clearing over the decals? Just not understanding why you have to stop prior to decals? I know thats never held me back, nor did sleep for that matter! Hah!

Elkskin's mower junkyard
33 minutes ago, Texas Todd said:

Are you clearing over the decals? Just not understanding why you have to stop prior to decals? I know thats never held me back, nor did sleep for that matter! Hah!

i would have to take dash back off to put decal on so just stopping before we get to that step. lol

953 nut
21 hours ago, craftsmanmowerfreak said:

decals are somewhere in transit lol Vinylguy sent them out this morning

Since you are not using hardener in your paint you need to give it a few days to cure, put them on too soon and the paint may loose adhesion.    :twocents-02cents:         Those days of delay are working in your favor!

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
13 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

Since you are not using hardener in your paint you need to give it a few days to cure, put them on too soon and the paint may loose adhesion.    :twocents-02cents:         Those days of delay are working in your favor!

yea i thought of that.

its been sitting in shed apart for few days anyway lol

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard

had a problem with 502 last night. put gas in tank and the bun gasket started leaking. so i took seal all (gas resistant superglue) glued the area where gasket goes and no more leak lol.

0612171116-00.jpg

Elkskin's mower junkyard

Here she is guys 502 sporting the 1994 kohler magnum 8hp

19025193_1435211226517200_4659200972247992329_o.jpg

19055131_1435210416517281_2896170304997045_o.jpg

• Like 7

AMC RULES

Looks really nice.  :greetings-clapyellow:

• Like 2

Elkskin's mower junkyard
2 hours ago, AMC RULES said:

Looks really nice.  :greetings-clapyellow:

thank you

Uncle Buck

Very nice indeed! So if I adopt you would you restore my herd of horses? :think:

• Like 1

Elkskin's mower junkyard
4 hours ago, Uncle Buck said:

Very nice indeed! So if I adopt you would you restore my herd of horses? :think:

lol funny. only second tractor i ever redone, first was my 1972 sears ss15

• Like 1

JPWH

Nice job. My first was my 854. I hope to do 2 more before 2018 show.