Tim.0

69 charger kohler 12hp

Tim.0

Hi,

brought home a charger 12. Does anyone know what the ohm reading should be on the coil? Reading on google .4 to 2ohms neg to pos and center tower to pos 6k to 15k sound about right? Will a car 12v work temporary? I am sure kohler has a special coil for that engine prolly x amount primary and secondary windings.

Thanks Tim O

953 nut

The Kohler coil has a built in resistor. An older model 12 Volt VW coil will work fine or you could use any coil with an external resistor added in line on the "+" side.

mmmmmdonuts

I believe the primary resistance between the two coils is usually around 3-4 ohms in each coil I have used on my Raider 12 Kohler K301.

Tim.0

thanks I am at 3.8 ohms  and 7kohms so as far as I can tell im in the ballpark so onward and upwards, just trying to get the engine to fire. So guess ill check point gap and condenser and get new plug.

• Like 1

953 nut

Have you run a small jumper wire from the battery "+" directly to the coil "+" to eliminate the potential of a wiring problem?

• Like 1

WHX??

I have a coil on the shelf if you need one Tim.

Just out of curiosity Dick what size/wattage is that resistor?

pfrederi
27 minutes ago, WHX11 said:

I have a coil on the shelf if you need one Tim.

Just out of curiosity Dick what size/wattage is that resistor?

Ballast resistor a few bucks at any auto parts store I do not know the actual values. 

• Like 1

Tim.0

I have not run a jumper wire, but good idea. I did do a voltage test and I thought it was a tad low. I'll be doing some cleaning today and I'll get back. Compression 120 may be bit more dry did not do a wet test. Seem to be in range there.

Thanks

• Like 1

Tim.0

I replaced the spark plug and  then had some nice spark. So now at this point the engine runs. Changed oil cleaned fuel tank took the machine for alittle spin and ran a temporary fuel line. No smoke don't here any knocking so far so good.  Still plenty to do yet.

Thanks Tim O