dirtnap

Trans noise

dirtnap

I have an '86 417-8.  I don't know the trans part number.  I searched the manuals for my machine but got aggravated with the way the forum has them listed.  It looks like the manual I need is not where it should be.  Anyway, I have a noise coming from the rear end right side.  Sounds like a throwout bearing noise, high pitched squeal.  Goes away when you depress the clutch like a throwout.  Anyone have any ideas?

stevasaurus

I went into the "Manuals" section...clicked the era where 1986 would be and typed 417-8.  Here is the TIPL and it shows the transmission #11095 8 speed transmission.  

As far as your noise, it sounds like an axle bearing.  I would check the input shaft pulley, the idler pulley and wood ruff keys first...before I dropped the trans and opened it up.  If those things are OK...you will need to drop and open the transmission.  Here is the manual link to the process...you will want "Section V".  :)

492-4004.pdf

If you go to the "Reference Section" (Transmissions) on the main page...my #5060 thread will be helpful with your transmission.  The differentials are different, but the main part of the trans is the same as yours.

What were you trying to search that you had bad results??  :think:

Pull off the wheels or hubs and check the up & down and side to side play of the axles.  almost any play at all is the sign of a bad outer axle bearing.

• Like 4

953 nut
1 hour ago, stevasaurus said:

the idler pulley

I would put my money on the idler pulley as it quiets down with the clutch depressed.

• Like 5

dirtnap

Steve and Richard,

Thanks very much for the responses.  Based on my observations and the fact that this machine has less than 360 well kept hours on it, I believe it's the idler pulley as well but will check all.  That 492-4004 pdf screwed me up because if you look at it, it only lists machines up to 1982.

Racinbob

I'd have to say the idler pulley would be my first thought too. Hopefully that will be your problem but if it's not it should still be an easy fix. There's another list in the manuals section that goes into 2000 but that's really not critical here. The Unidrive transmission differences were insignificant through those years.

3 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Pull off the wheels or hubs and check the up & down and side to side play of the axles.  almost any play at all is the sign of a bad outer axle bearing.

Keep in mind that Steve isn't referring to in and out play. Side to side has been confused in the past. A little in/out play, 1/8" or so max, isn't an issue. :)

• Like 3

stevasaurus

The 8 speed transmissions in Section V of that PDF are the same as yours.  :)

dirtnap

The noise was the idler pulley.  All fixed. Thanks.:wh:

• Like 3