grinchsr

Hub Puller

grinchsr

Is there anyone on the forum making hub puller that that members can purchase?   I checked the vendors section and came up empty.

rmaynard

Get an old hub and some nuts and bolts and make your own.

Here is the one I made:

• Like 6

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:  :text-goodpost:  :text-+1:

IMG_2189.JPG.b1bb40f6105654e4219eb5b060b32289.JPG

• Like 4

Aldon

IMG_0743.JPG.69f40f3e60091c1c7946933c37b1ff43.JPGIMG_0745.JPG.f27e1f29a27c349e3164694962e8e826.JPG

And for the really belligerent hub, I add a helper bar.

IMG_0747.JPG.f468bd129ff99314fda6c1a67999d3d2.JPG

• Like 6

lynnmor

I made a hub puller and it is my intention to produce a number of them to sell.  I wish that I could say when they will be produced, but too many other things keep getting in the way.  I wanted to have them ready for the show, but that may not happen.  Now back to installing the mower deck I welded yesterday (see what I mean?).

• Like 2

grinchsr

Thanks to all for the replies.  I may have a junk hub around here some where.  That 3 jaw puller looks like it came from the monster truck world.  Hey Lynnmor I might be interested in one.  PM me because if I haven't built one by then I would be interested.   Ray

Aldon

The 3 jaw puller is a 10 ton set up from amazon. ~ $100

• Like 2

pacer

After my SECOND hub breaking with a giant 3 jaw -- I figured that more than 3 points of pull was needed so I built a 5 and a 6 pull point. I havent broke another hub and have successfully pulled several ... but I had a big D-180 make me holler UNCLE! on both hubs no matter how I went at them --- manohman, hubs and steering wheels! whew!!

• Like 2

Aldon

I had same problem with using 3 point puller. 

I have had better luck using a spare hub to distribute the force via 4 or 5 lugs. Also keeps the weaker points from flexing as much.

i too have had to resort to making a relief cut and breaking them free. Usually when they have sat for multiple years out in weather.

• Like 1

pfrederi
4 hours ago, pacer said:

After my SECOND hub breaking with a giant 3 jaw -- I figured that more than 3 points of pull was needed so I built a 5 and a 6 pull point. I havent broke another hub and have successfully pulled several ... but I had a big D-180 make me holler UNCLE! on both hubs no matter how I went at them --- manohman, hubs and steering wheels! whew!!

The problem with pulling D series hubs (and GT14s) is the body of the hub is long and the flange is not much thicker than a regular hub.  if they are really stuck you have to pull them from the back of the hub not on the flange or you may break the flange.  this setup worked on my D and she fought all the way off.  It bent the heavy wall square tubing I used a part of the puller but the hubs came off in one piece... finally.

IMG_3208_1.jpg

IMG_3209.JPG

IMG_3210.JPG

IMG_3211.JPG

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

@pacergot any pictures of you 5 and 6 pt hub puller.  @lynnmor Any idea of the cost on your hub puller ? I may be interested in one.

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I bought an army surplus 3 jaw puller, A MONSTER.....Oh yeah, it worked on the most stubborn stuff.

Glenn

lynnmor
15 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

@pacergot any pictures of you 5 and 6 pt hub puller.  @lynnmor Any idea of the cost on your hub puller ? I may be interested in one.

It would be in excess of $100.  That may be a problem with many, but with material and hardware costs, I would make little profit. 

The puller would be similar to the photo below, but with some added slots and other improvements.

58531c2e5482d_HubBeingPulled.thumb.JPG.930aba4777335583d89c2fe89f5ba94a.JPG

grinchsr

Looks like a super puller.  Thanks for getting back to me.  I may me ordering one and I will let you know.