kathyb6856

Belt adjustment pulleys are smoking

kathyb6856

I have a 1986 Wheel Horse 417 A  Model 31-17KE 02 .  It has a Kohler engine  KT 17QS  24363  and Deck  05-48MS05.  Originally, the blades stopped turning and the belts weren't moving.  One of the bearings in the pulley was worn so I replaced it, but that didn't solve the problem.  I then replaced the clutch plate, which was worn smooth.  Now, the pulley adjustment is smoking and obviously overheating.  Any suggestions as to what I should be looking at now for repair?  Thanks, Joe

daveoman1966

I had the exact same thing happenb today with my c-160.  The FLAT idler pulley of the Front Mule drive had gone bad....frozen so tightly that it would not spin at all.  The belt was just dragging over it, burning up the belt.  So...in a word....one or your two idler pulleys is shot.  

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Bach-Ed
      By Bach-Ed
      I need a little part number help.   I'm looking for the part number of the idler pulley that tensions the drive belt on my 857.  The diagram shows the left side of the tractor.  And I can't seem to locate the pulley on the parts drawing.  The bearings have gone out on my tractor's idler.
    • Joe Warren
      By Joe Warren
      one NOS 106846 right drive pulley, mower deck, used on double D style shaft, replaces part 5877, $55 includes shipping within US lower 48

• Mellison@hvc.rr.com
      By Mellison@hvc.rr.com
      How to pull pulley
    • Jmshocker
      By Jmshocker
      I really need a 6594 pulley if anyone would sell one. I really really need one. I exploded mine pressing the bearings out. I’m so sad and feel stupid. If I can’t find one my all original 877 is basically useless to me. My grandpa bought this thing new in 67 and we have used ever since. I love this thing and want to be able to pass it down to my son. Please help!
    • JackHorse
      By JackHorse
      Hi Guys, Had a random occurrence this week. Mowing along with my C85 eight speed in 1 low (grass was thick and wet), went to depress clutch and the drive belt jumped off the idler. I've had this tractor 3 years and it's been working great.  The belt itself looks good except the top of it was a bit chewed up in a short section which I believe happened after it came off.  I put the belt back on and continued to mow with no further issue.  Any ideas as to why this would happen or adjustments I might need to make to prevent another incident? Thanks