dynodave

Small guy model recommendations please...

dynodave

Hello there Horsey fans. I'm new to Wheel Horse and am still in the research stage. My yard is .5 acre with one sharp edge (steep) drainage ditch the width of the lot. Also have some tight trees and a gate to traverse. For the 16 years that I've owned this property, I have been using a CASE XC 116 lawn tractor with a 2 blade, 34" cutting deck and it's the perfect size. Recently, I have decided to research and find a WH to replace my CASE...so I'm looking for model recommendations from the WH pros. Requirements are: 8 speed gear drive (I like the granny gear idea), 8 hp Kohler (preferably the CDI fitted Magnum), and small deck. I don't know the actual total width of the 37" deck on a 308-8. The machine will be dedicated to lawn cutting only, no other attachments required. Any and all suggestions are welcome. Does anyone know the real width of a 308-8 deck? Thanks in advance.

refracman

The 308 is a good choice. But with trees and such Id go with a 36" rear discharge with the steep ditch use wide  ag tires with wheel weights for traction and stability. I have a fairly steep ditch line and the ags make the difference between staying put and sliding around  

• Like 2

dynodave
26 minutes ago, refracman said:

The 308 is a good choice. But with trees and such Id go with a 36" rear discharge with the steep ditch use wide  ag tires with wheel weights for traction and stability. I have a fairly steep ditch line and the ags make the difference between staying put and sliding around  

Thank you. Do you know how wide the deck is? I was under the impression that the 308 uses a 37" deck. I did not know about the 36". 

953 nut

This list will give you an idea of what will fit the tractor you are looking at.

WH Interchange 1955-2000.pdf

buckrancher

also look over a 310-8

Brian

• Like 2

stevebo

IMO find a 312-8 with a 42" side or rear discharge deck. 

• Like 1

MalMac

My go to tractor is a C81 with a 36 rear discharge. Next in line is my C101 with same deck. I use them for mowing in tight areas. I know they are not Magnums but If I had to get rid of all the tractors those are the ones I would keep. To me that 36" deck with the sealed spindles that are pressed in to steel housings are great. Spindle bearing goes bad just press it out put a new one in. No messing around with aluminum housing that deteriorate. There are other good choices out there this is just mine. 

I should say the vintage of 36 will determine if it has the steel spindle housing with sealed spindles or the aluminum housings.

Edited by MalMac
  • Like 3

Racinbob

:text-yeahthat:Maybe a short wheelbase for maneuverability like a Commando 800. Just be careful choosing the deck. Some of the 36" decks (and others??) have the 100675 spindles that can't be serviced. My grandsons had those but now sport the 101525 assembly with the 105074 housing. Like Tim said, just press the bearing out and a new one in. I struggled for years trying to service his deck while living in Florida and kept running into 'weird' isues. Now, back in Indiana I finally figured it out and he's good to go. Not a cheap swap but well worth it. :)

JimmyJam

:text-welcomeconfetti::rs:You will have many choices for Wheel Horses out there. As "Racinbob" has said the "short" wheel base, probably the mid-frames: Commando 8, B-80 models; that ran a Kohler K181 engine and used a 36" mower deck is well suited. But like many WH models, parts are becoming harder to find. The later 300 series are equally as good as mentioned by others. Good Luck! Keep us posted with updates!!!

• Like 1

dynodave
8 hours ago, 953 nut said:

This list will give you an idea of what will fit the tractor you are looking at.

WH Interchange 1955-2000.pdf

Thanks for the GREAT list 953 nut! I don't think a list could get much better than that.

6 hours ago, stevebo said:

IMO find a 312-8 with a 42" side or rear discharge deck. 

Thanks for the input stevebo and buckrancher. I like them both.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

good luck with your hunt.

Glenn

• Like 1

dynodave
6 hours ago, MalMac said:

My go to tractor is a C81 with a 36 rear discharge. Next in line is my C101 with same deck. I use them for mowing in tight areas. I know they are not Magnums but If I had to get rid of all the tractors those are the ones I would keep. To me that 36" deck with the sealed spindles that are pressed in to steel housings are great. Spindle bearing goes bad just press it out put a new one in. No messing around with aluminum housing that deteriorate. There are other good choices out there this is just mine. 

I should say the vintage of 36 will determine if it has the steel spindle housing with sealed spindles or the aluminum housings.

Thanks for that valuable info MalMac. I was unaware of the sealed spindles and aluminum decks. I have looked at pictures of both the C81 and C101. They both look to be the "right size" for my needs. My search has begun.

5 hours ago, Racinbob said:

:text-yeahthat:Maybe a short wheelbase for maneuverability like a Commando 800. Just be careful choosing the deck. Some of the 36" decks (and others??) have the 100675 spindles that can't be serviced. My grandsons had those but now sport the 101525 assembly with the 105074 housing. Like Tim said, just press the bearing out and a new one in. I struggled for years trying to service his deck while living in Florida and kept running into 'weird' isues. Now, back in Indiana I finally figured it out and he's good to go. Not a cheap swap but well worth it. :)

Thanks Bob. I will take your (and Tim's) invaluable spindle advice.

dynodave
4 hours ago, JimmyJam said:

:text-welcomeconfetti::rs:You will have many choices for Wheel Horses out there. As "Racinbob" has said the "short" wheel base, probably the mid-frames: Commando 8, B-80 models; that ran a Kohler K181 engine and used a 36" mower deck is well suited. But like many WH models, parts are becoming harder to find. The later 300 series are equally as good as mentioned by others. Good Luck! Keep us posted with updates!!!

Yes JimmyJam...it seems that there are many models that will fit my needs...and I like all that have been mentioned. My search has begun. It'll boil down to finding a clean machine within my price/distance range. I especially like the later 300 machines for their parts availability and Magnum engines. THANKS FOR ALL YOUR INPUTS. I will happily post my findings.