Sign in to follow this  
formariz

K91 leaking oil through breather cover

formariz

I have a k91 that is leaking oil through the breather cover gasket on bottom-not through vent. Already replaced gaskets and i am pretty sure reed valve is in correctly. Still leaks when it runs for a while. I am thinking about doing a leak down test tomorrow but engine has great compression and does not burn oil. Any suggestions?

Cas

Buzz

Do you have the proper amount of oil in it? Too much oil could cause your problem. If you don't have a manual, download this and check the breather assy. shown on page 12-16 and 12-17. Here's the link:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/common/resources/tp_2379.pdf

formariz

Hi Buzz

According to the dipstick it is correct. Slightly under top (full) mark.

jerrell

:thumbs: Cas, i remember reading this in a manual somewhere don't remember where or what engine it was for, but in checking the oil, when taking the dip stick out and wipeing it ..not to push it all the way down or the ones with the screw dip stick not to screw it back in and check the oil. it would always register over full if you did, had a problem similar to that , i drained the oil , replaced it with the RX amount and checked the oil level that way, mark the oil level with a scribe and in the position you chooze, either all the way down or screwed in all the way, any way you will difinitely know that you are right on the money :whistle:

Old Iron

You need to lay the shoulder of the dipstick on the side of the hole. That's how they recomend checking....not screwed in.

untitled.jpg

TT

Cas, I have a few questions for you.

~Did you use sealer on all gasket surfaces?

~Did you happen to check the outer cover for flatness?

~Did you verify that the oil return hole is open from the valve spring "compartment" to the crankcase?

~When you installed the plate with the reed valve, did you also make sure the small drain-back hole was on the bottom?

A slightly high oil level in a K-90/91 should not cause the breather gaskets to leak. I could understand if it were pushing raw oil out of the breather vent, but you say it's not. :thumbs:

formariz

Hello TT

You got it.

Despite having looked at it several times and looking at diagrams of it, I never saw the little drain hole on mine. This k91 has small box with the flapper inside of it. The drain hole is probably only 1/16" and I had it on top. In addition to it ,since it was upside down, the little air filter which should be right inside of the vent now was also on top of the flapper not allowing it to move out,therefor causing the crankcase to actually pressurize. I was beginning to have oil actually ooze through the dipstick threads. T is always the silliest things that we miss.

b-80boz

My 175 was doing that when I got it I took off the valve cover and there was a screw caught in the valve it couldnt close all the way and was blowing oily gas through the breather .Got rid of the screw and it runs great. I dont know if this is your problem but.It might be something to check for . :thumbs: