Morecowbell

Just drained the tranny - there's a little oil in my water...

Morecowbell

So this is what was in my 5025, by some miracle it still seems to be working!   So now I'm wondering if I should flush it with something or if I should I just fill it with 90W gear oil and cross my fingers? 

And any tips on unsticking a stuck drain plug?  I drained it from the fill hole, feels like I'm going to strip the allen head socket on the drain plug.

5928c52a89183_Trannyfluid.jpg.3af8591d4606c92522f09fabd6a95230.jpg

:thanks:

• Like 3

Jerry77

i'm just a shade tree mechanic, but I would probably put my brazing tip on my torch and heat it to cherry red to loosen the rust and back it out of there...:twocents-02cents:  I imagine you will get a lot of good ideas here...:)

• Like 5

953 nut

Heat is a good rust buster, but working with cast iron I think I would let it cool and apply some PB Blaster or whatever you prefer while it is hot and then after it cools down try removing it. You should put a quart or two of diesel fuel in it and (since you already have it off)use an electric motor or drill to operate it in all gears for several minutes then drain. This will get most of the water out of the bearings.

• Like 8

Digger 66

Kind of corny , but it does work ! 

• Like 8

SylvanLakeWH
10 hours ago, Morecowbell said:

5928c52a89183_Trannyfluid.jpg.3af8591d4606c92522f09fabd6a95230.jpg

A testament to the quality of these machines!

• Like 4

stevasaurus

If you have that trans on the bench like that...why take a chance.  Open it up clean it out, check your bearings and replace the seals and gasket.  The hard part is already done, and if you are not lucky, you will be right back to where you are.  :)

• Like 9

Morecowbell

Steve - thanks for the comment and also your great thread on rebuilding your transmission.  On the one hand I'm trying to avoid more work on this but I do like the idea of getting it all cleaned up.  I'll go take another look at your thread and see if I get inspired!!

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Not sure what thread you are looking at.  The 5025 one is just pictures.  This one (5085) is the same tranns, except the brake drum is on the cluster gear instead of the mushroom gear...and this one has videos.  This should entice you into doing the right thing.  :)

• Like 1

Dakota8338

I would still fill it with diesel fuel as 953 nut said and let it sit for a week or more, drain and refill with fresh diesel fuel and let sit for a couple more weeks.  You will be amazed at what soaking things in diesel fuel will accomplish in a few weeks. 

• Like 1