lodestonefarm

Mid-attach only grabbing on one side

lodestonefarm

The mid-mount attachment on my 520 keeps opening on one side.  The 'drivers' side (where the release handle is) stays closed but the passenger side keeps opening and letting the mowing deck 'slip'.  This is with my 60" deck if that makes any difference.  The little hanging 'tooth' that swings under the mowing deck bar just keeps flopping forward and letting the bar fall downward.  Is there supposed to be a spring or something like that which would hold that closed?  I'll try to get some pictures if my (poor) description doesn't get the situation across.  

Any thoughts or locations on the forum where I can find an exploded view of the center attac-o-matic?  

Thanks

gwest_ca

Here are the parts involved. Only thing that would allow that is a weld has let go at one of the ends of item 17. The round disc only holds the left side in position but being a welded assembly the right should stay in position with the left.

Garry

Got the picture from this IPL

Hitch Mid Attach-matic IPL SS.jpg

• Like 2

Aldon

I agree with Garry at least with what info we have to go on.

If the spring(7) is holding tension  then the wheel (18) should keep both sides of (17) from disengaging.

If welds on (17) are good....

then assure the brackets (15) bolts are tight.

if they are, then it's possible the receptacle rounded cutout on (15) has wallowed out potentially enough to allow the deck to force itself free. If that's the case, a replacement is reasonable if bought used.

The big 60 inch heavy decks are tough on frames and the attach a matic brAckets.

lodestonefarm

@gwest_ca

@Aldon

Thanks for the link to the drawings.  It's very hard to see under the machine, especially with the mowing deck in the way, but based on that drawing I think you're right.  The 'catch' on the end of part 17 that's opposite the handle swings freely.  It must no longer be rigidly attached to the shaft.  Maybe I'll wire it into place for the rest of the mowing season, so the deck doesn't drop on the one side, and then weld the rod (part 17) back to the clasp after taking the deck off at the end of the season.  

The big deck has wallowed out the mount points a bit but not to the extent that it should/could fall free when closed properly.  I think it must be the connection between the rod and the 'clasp'.  

Thank you gentleman for the info.  Much appreciate.  

1995 520H+96+97

I put 1/4" bolts in the existing holes of the mid mount, head of bolt on the inside.

Lee1977

If it's completely latched it's a weak spring or the c-clip has come out of the groove. If the fork on the deck attachment isn't on the rod it will only latch on one side. My deck came off twice one day last summer.  The second time I put it back on this is what I did.

SAM_0641.jpg.

• Like 1