plumb-r

What model(s) did I find?

plumb-r

I just bought some parts in the hope that I can piece together a tractor. I will need other parts as well, some guards and a starter /alternator. There is no model number anywhere I can find. serial numbers are present on label under the steering shaft. Does anyone have a way to ID these? The 2 kohler motors are both 8HP.

thumbnail_IMG_20170525_102438777.jpg

thumbnail_IMG_20170525_102227744.jpg

• Like 4

rjg854

854    :think:

• Like 2

Tankman

Not sure of the model number but, excellent Horse! I had one, fab'd a front bumper so the boys wouldn't dent the hood. :handgestures-thumbupright:

AJ-Horse.png.56fc0b2c1d66c5707e38c3f8e329f30a.png

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:                 854 for sure!     You could restore one and keep one in it's work clothes.

58cf7dd4634c5_Tractor1964854OMIPLWiringSS.jpg.47950870b3b962773b4a9071d0abeb40.jpg1964 Wheel Horse 854

• Like 4

JPWH

:WRS:  Nice find. My favorite model.

Racinbob

Aw come on now......are we going to let this 'what model/year is it' get by without other opinions? Ummmmm, yup.....an 854. :D

• Like 2

Chris G

Nice find. But I got to agree on them being  854's

Edited by Chris G
  • Like 1

oliver2-44

Great find. it's fun to build them from a pile of parts.

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

HEY! Please school me on what screamed 854 about this horse? Was it the steering wheel? Was it perhaps the dash panel? Maybe both? For me it seemed impossible to nail down an exact year, so what gave it away so easily to those of you in the know? More than one model shared that square style seat correct? Looking for my education here fellas!

pfrederi

Separate 2 piece gas tank not under the hood. 855 and later had one piece tank under the hood

• Like 2

rmaynard

...and just another little clue, 855's and later (with the exception of Lawn Rangers) were square hoods. And to the best of my knowledge, if those K181 engines there are original to those tractors, there were no 8hp models in 1963 and prior. So that just leaves model year 1964, a hence the 854.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

Uncle Buck
30 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

Separate 2 piece gas tank not under the hood. 855 and later had one piece tank under the hood

I have a 633 and I it has that same style gas tank as well as the same style seat, so why could it not be a 633? (I know it is not a 633 simply trying to understand as those two attributes are shared with the 633) that is all I am getting at.

6 minutes ago, rmaynard said:

...and just another little clue, 855's and later (with the exception of Lawn Rangers) were square hoods. And to the best of my knowledge, if those K181 engines there are original to those tractors, there were no 8hp models in 1963 and prior. So that just leaves model year 1964, a hence the 854.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Ah, I see where he said the engines were 8hp. Your statement clarifies things better for me. I think my 633 is a 7hp Kohler just like you said. Now I understand.

• Like 1

Racinbob

All great information. Prior to 64 the steering wheels were flat (except the 953). Tankmans tractor in post #3 is prior to 64. The 603 had the earlier front axle. The other models had a newer axle. Tankmans tractor has the older style so it's likely a 62. Compare it to yours. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 1

Uncle Buck
1 minute ago, Racinbob said:

All great information. Prior to 64 the steering wheels were flat (except the 953). Tankmans tractor in post #3 is prior to 64. The 603 had the earlier front axle. The other models had a newer axle. Tankmans tractor has the older style. Compare it to yours. :)

True, my 633 does have a flat steering wheel. However, the front axle looks the same as those shown in every other picture in this thread. Are you thinking I had a 603? I have a 633.

CasualObserver

Most likely an 854... but depending on what that serial number actually is, it could be a 754.  Are you sure both motors are K181, or just assumed from the size?  Apart from the serial number and an original K161 engine there would be no way to tell. There was a small run of 422 that received 7HP engines instead of 8HP. Serial numbers 47916-48337 are the 754 models.

• Like 2

Racinbob
1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

True, my 633 does have a flat steering wheel. However, the front axle looks the same as those shown in every other picture in this thread. Are you thinking I had a 603? I have a 633.

I didn't word that very well did I? :wacko: Barring some anomaly or owner swap the 63's had flat steering wheels and the later axles.The 603 was the exception. It carried over the older axles and had an odd steering wheel. :)

• Like 2

Uncle Buck
14 minutes ago, Racinbob said:

I didn't word that very well did I? :wacko: Barring some anomaly or owner swap the 63's had flat steering wheels and the later axles.The 603 was the exception. It carried over the older axles and had an odd steering wheel. :)

Agreed, describes my 633 perfectly.

plumb-r

Thanks for all the feed back guys, I was leaning toward a 854 also, but being new to this stuff I needed help. The serial numbers are as follows 45288 and 47545 on the two consoles by the steering shaft. The tins that are black the PO sand blasted and primed them. Could someone tell me what starter/ generator could I find to fit?

953 nut
26 minutes ago, plumb-r said:

what starter/ generator could I find to fit

Most S/G units from makes other than Cub Cadet will work. Be sure it cones from a horizontal shaft engine as the vertical shaft ones are shorter and won't fit the bracket on your engine. This Kohler manual has good info about them.