Sign in to follow this  
Kavint76

8hp briggs

Kavint76

I have an 800 special with a 8hp briggs on it i cleaned the carb n i dont think i got it adjusted rite. How many turns on the needle valves should I start with? And the carb still leaks its different than other carbs I've worked on. I had to pull the main needle valve n back the jet out to separate the carb. It has a long brass tube that goes in the top half of the carb. The jet got tight on the way out so i couldn't get it out the whole way but it was open. Anyone else have this problem? Thnx everyone 

gwest_ca

That is a big problem with the 2-piece flo-jet carb.

Between the threads of the jet and the tube is a tapered seat. Even at the best of times that tapered seat will leak fuel and since it is below the fuel level in the bowl fuel will seep into the intake and show up as a drip when not running. If it does not leak too bad the flow of air when running draws it into the engine.

The first fix was to grind the threads off the brass jet and reinsert it with a fine grinding compound on the brass tapered seat to polish the carb aluminum tapered seat. That requires a new nozzle.

The next was to add a plastic washer to the tube that ended up as a gasket on the tapered seat.

I did have luck making a washer out of Teflon tape but with a 1/8" ID that flimsy washer was a challenge but did work. I sharpened the end of an old nozzle and used it as a gasket punch.

Next I used the Teflon thread sealer paste made by Permatex/Loctite applied to the brass taper with a toothpick and that worked.

Recently read where a neoprene o-ring sliped over the tube will also seal the taper.

All this will work if you can successfully get the jet out and back in.

I saw where Brian Millar has a tap to clean up the threads but the jet needs to be out for that also.

There may be new replacement imported carbs available now because that carb was used on a lot of different motors for many years.

Garry

• Like 1