briankd

sandblaster media

briankd

in the past i have used silica sand to sandblast but the place i work at don't have any they used to buy it by the pallet and i just went and borrowed a few bags 

was looking at something different seen this at rural king they have coal slag in 50 # bags for 7 bucks.was wondering if anyone used this? and what it would do to my yard seeing i blast in the open yard afraid it would kill the grass? or turn to black goo after it rained on it ? silica sand don't harm nothing.    any thought on this?  just wondering i have my c-120 down to parts and bout ready to blast it.   THANKS  BRIAN

953 nut

Play sand at HD is about four bucks for a 50 pound bag.

• Like 1

JAinVA

Hate to disagree with the thought that silica sand doesn't hurt anything.If you use enough without the right precautions it will seriously mess with your lungs.Sand blasting with silica can be very dangerous.Ever heard of silicosis?I agree that play sand works good for it's price but a standard respirator is not adequate protection.Coal slag or any non silica based product is safer but maybe not as effective.I only use non silica media in my blast cabinet and am looking at an air supplied system for true sand blasting.

• Like 9

Aldon

:text-yeahthat: Silicosis is nasty. Only way I would blast with play or concrete sand is with power washer set up.

• Like 4

pacer

I too want to stress the dangers of silicosis using common sand - do yourself a favor and google this and do some reading on it.

Now as to blast media - I assume the product you are referring to is "Black Diamond" perhaps? (coal slag) If so I use it exclusively, and have used probably 25-30 bags outside of my shop in the grass. Been close to a year since I have done any in that area (thats about to change:lol:) and I have to look closely at the ground/grass to see any trace of the black grains - that has really surprised me in fact! This springs new grass growth and the rains has almost disappeared it.

I use a dedicated blast hood - not air supplied but a heavy duty one, with goggles and gloves using a cheapo vacuum pickup gun. and I have HF's big blast cabinet with Black Diamond in it.

• Like 4

Kurt-NEPA

I tried play sand years ago for sand blasting.  I was really disappointed in it.  So I tried some of the options available at TSC.  Much better.  My preference was  glass beads.  Not very aggressive, but what nice finish.  Lately I've been getting my media from TP Tools.  Even better yet.  Get the good stuff. 

• Like 2

squonk

Another issue with play sand is the moisture in it. Constant clogging. Black diamond or glass beads and equipment from TP Tools for me.

• Like 1

JPWH

I have just started using the crushed glass from Northern Tool. So far it seems to be working fairly well.  I have also mixed sifted black diamond and glass beads. Works well for heavy rust parts.

Jay

briankd
21 hours ago, JAinVA said:

Hate to disagree with the thought that silica sand doesn't hurt anything.If you use enough without the right precautions it will seriously mess with your lungs.Sand blasting with silica can be very dangerous.Ever heard of silicosis?I agree that play sand works good for it's price but a standard respirator is not adequate protection.

yes it will mess with your lungs guess i am lucky all them years blasting with it then osha came around then started using the breather helmet. i ment won't hurt the yard

can't fit the tractor frame in cabinet i just open air blast in the yard you don't get to reuse the media that's why i was looking for a cheap alternative to silica sand 

Edited by briankd
  • Like 2

ohiofarmer

Harbor Freight sells a baking soda blaster. What to like is that there is no residue at all and you can wash it off with water. I bought one when they stole my hard blaster but have yet to use it. Maybe read the reviews and report back

• Like 1

Uncle Buck

I sure hope you listen to the caution comments these guys are giving you. I am a Safety and Health Manager in industry and have work as a safety professional for decades. The hazards with silica sand are well documented and exposure can kill you. You won't die in a hurry, it will show up some years down the line. Here is what happens. As you blast the sand particles fracture releasing microscopic particles of the silica sand in the air. The particles are very small, very light, in fact often not even visible to the human eye. You finish the job, remove all your gear, hood etc. The suspended particles are still hanging around for some time following the blasting. That is the point that unknown to you when you inhale you suck a microscopic particle into your mouth that ends up trapped in the lining of your throat, or your lungs. You will not even notice it at the time and have no clue it happened. Over time that particle grows and metastasizes and 10-20 years after you did the blasting, wallah! You now have silicosis of the lungs and you are now on a short timeline to die, your lungs are shot, all because of the silica sand you inhaled 10-20 years ago.

Find a better media like black beauty or anything but play sand or silica sand. I am giving it to you straight bub.

• Like 2

buckrancher

tractor supply sells black diamond blasting media in two different grits for around $8. a 50lb bag

Brian

• Like 2

Sarge

I've been getting the coal slag lately from Menard's - it seems to be a more consistent grading size and is much cheaper than TSC , which has really gotten out of line on it's pricing of stuff . Any time I use my blaster outside I wear the full over hood as well as a particulate respirator - including when handling blasted parts and filling the blast vessel . Even coal slag has been proven to contain small amounts of silicates - watched too many older fellow Laborers slowly die from silicosis - no human should go that way , ever . I ran full washed US Silica material for years here and at work , but used excessive precautions around the stuff that most people don't know to use as we have to attend OSHA and work qualification classes to do the work in our Union . These rules came about as a result of things like silicosis - I hate that suppliers sell silicates to the general public with no warning statements other than what's on the bag . The industry has changed some , but also has a very long way to go in my opinion .

Haven't had any issues with the yard and many times I'll use a 12' square tarp to catch at least some of the media - run it through the sand sifter from TP Tools and re-use the stuff several times , still works fine . Biggest trick is to get away from those junk dead man nozzles most of the cheap blasters come with - the tips wear out far too easily and no way to get just the one size you need in bulk , they only sell them in the 3-pack of three different sizes . I picked up a nozzle setup that uses the more common tapered cone blast nozzle sized for the cfm of my air system as well as a heavy duty ball valve . Cuts way faster , even with smaller grain media and has a much better velocity to it - can clean parts much further away and prevent wear on my hood lens not to mention the cones last 10 times longer and are generally cheaper . There has been a guy selling a kit on that popular auction site that has the valve , nozzle adapter , ring , o-ring and nozzle complete for a reasonable cost if you want to try one - it's sized for the common 3/4" blast hose for the cheaper imported blast pots .

Be aware of this - anywhere you blast that dust is now in the ground . Pass a mower over it and it becomes airborne again - another argument against using silicates , not to mention the stuff can make it into almost anything and destroy it - like bearings and engines . The coal slag seems to stay once it gets rained upon a couple of times with no visible damage to a lawn , but I would recommend moving your blast site around at random .

Hope this helps -

Sarge