formariz

56 years later !

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat:...and look that good while doing it?  :text-coolphotos:

• Like 3

Tankman
29 minutes ago, formariz said:

How many lawn tractors made today will be able or around to accomplish this 56 years from now?

IMG_0592.thumb.JPG.4e2a906203f70f0ed08f2a54e1b2bd97.JPG 

IMG_0593.thumb.JPG.1be9503e1ffc3017914eeb1bca30c6b3.JPG

Great Stallion! Those decks were great too! Is the horn stock?

• Like 5

953 nut

Let me think about this;

Image result for let me think about this; none

NONE! 

• Like 5

12 hp Kohler

NONE

• Like 3

stevebo

Very cool!!

• Like 3

Terry M

Very Nice!    Original Lauson engine?

• Like 2

clueless

With a little maintenance and care that one could be around another 56.

• Like 3

formariz
13 minutes ago, Terry M said:

Very Nice!    Original Lauson engine?

Yes original engine. All original parts on it except for horn of course. Also today it has the RJ's front wheels on since I got a flat earlier today.

2 minutes ago, clueless said:

With a little maintenance and care that one could be around another 56.

Wouldn't it be cool that one of my grandchildren would post here about it 56 years from now? I am willing to bet on it. Too bad I wont be around to read it.

• Like 5

rdeanrj58

My son and me mowing a couple weeks ago . Now I have to rely on the 653 because the Ford is broke down! 

image.jpeg

• Like 7

T McCool

This is why I bought a horse. He will be 50 this year. Don't even get me started on new garden tractors.... 😡

• Like 5

Retired Wrencher

formariz  I agree 100% None. That is nice work on the stone did you do this if so the must have take you while to do it. OHH my back. Looks great. Landscape shots with tractors just seem to fit.

Edited by Retierd Wrencher
  • Like 2

Ken B

Such a sweet tractor that does an awesome job! Cas, I must say, you have got yourself a beautiful piece of property there!

• Like 3

elliot ness

Great Post, great little Wheel Horse.:text-bravo:

• Like 1

W9JAB

Wheel horse tractors didn't last so long because of flashy paint, or fancy model names, or even (dare I say it) RED Square.

The darn thing dose the job they were intended to do and were built in the day when quality and workmanship meant something to the manufacture as well as the consumer.

Profit was made by good value for the money, not manufacturing short cuts and off shore materials and labor.

• Like 4

Lee1977
10 hours ago, T McCool said:

This is why I bought a horse. He will be 50 this year. Don't even get me started on new garden tractors.... 😡

New garden tractors, you can count them all on one hand with space left over. The price of them starts above 10 grand..

AlwaysLookin80

These tractors now a days are made to last 7 to 10 years. They are junk. They will never be as good as these old girls. 

• Like 1

Tgtack
32 minutes ago, J.A. said:

These tractors now a days are made to last 7 to 10 years. They are junk. They will never be as good as these old girls. 

Try 3 to 5 years. About 6 years ago I bought a Weed Eater brand 36 riding mower, $490 new. By the end of the second season (I only have a 300' by 50" lot), the clutch assembly sounded like a blender with marbles in it and the front tires were nearly tread less. Sold it for $125 and glad to have gotten rid of it. If you buy any of the current crop of mowers and pay under $1600, it is doubtful it will last more than 5 years without some major issue. The Briggs engines these days are absolute junk, and are usually what dies first. I am amazed at the number of WH tractors I see that still have original tires on them!

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

That mower is still doing a great job, nice cut. Thanks for sharing.

edit: btw, your lawn looks great, mines all weeds.

Glenn

Edited by JERSEYHAWG / Glenn
  • Like 1

formariz
5 hours ago, Ken B said:

Such a sweet tractor that does an awesome job! Cas, I must say, you have got yourself a beautiful piece of property there!

Thanks Ken and everyone for the nice comments. She is sweet and tough. One acre of lawn every three days! Some guy believed in her so much he even signed his name on it.:rolleyes:

I decided to give your tractor a rest this year since I missed the old girl so much and she was just jealous looking at the stud having all the fun.

5925ae78b5b2e_OM.thumb.jpg.3382ff46659dca0011816f75ef825d90.jpg

• Like 2

Terry M
3 hours ago, W9JAB said:

Wheel horse tractors didn't last so long because of flashy paint, or fancy model names, or even (dare I say it) RED Square.

I'll bet though that in the last Ten years, Red Square has had a Big part in keeping these tractors going..:)

• Like 4

EricF
8 hours ago, W9JAB said:

The darn thing dose the job they were intended to do and were built in the day when quality and workmanship meant something to the manufacture as well as the consumer.

And Wheel Horse just kept incrementing on top of solid engineering. I love how my 520H is the ultimate evolution of the "standard" Wheel Horse design. A lot of reliability baked-in from years of experience building the same platform. "New and Improved" might have gotten a lot of average buyers to stray toward flashy, less (Or sometimes more!) expensive stuff, but solid design that's repairable wins in the long run. That's why I went looking for a :wh: in the first place. Buy it once, maintain and repair it, and keep it, the way it was designed to be. :thumbs2:

• Like 3

Mthrtrkr

Agree with all this. Was going to buy an orange tractor from Lowe's this spring to replace an old Craftsman. Came across an old horse like dad had when I was younger and changed my mind. Since then have bought 4 horses working on a 5th......that being said, two of the horses I bought were short frames and I have decided I prefer the long frames. I have a c100 and hoping to pick up a c120 next weekend. The 418a will never leave my fat sweaty hands but I think I want to let the no name 8 and the B-80 go to fund the restoration of the C's....

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

I'm gonna say none. The new ones now don't even do as good a job as our horses when they roll off the showroom floor. Last summer I mowed for our neighbor some while he was out of town with my 1277. He came back home and was surprised at how much nicer job my 50 year old tractor did compared to his brand new Toro zero turn.

Edited by Professor1990
  • Like 1

fast88pu
On May 23, 2017 at 10:03 PM, rdeanrj58 said:

My son and me mowing a couple weeks ago . Now I have to rely on the 653 because the Ford is broke down! 

image.jpeg

Ford broken down? I've never heard that before. 

• Like 1