Hondadirtracer

42" SD speeds up in right turn

Hondadirtracer

I've got a 95 312-8 with the 42" side discharge deck. Anytime I start getting into some thicker or longer grass where it has to cut more than 1/2" I can hear the blades slow down and will sometimes stop even if I am in 1st gear low. However if I crank the wheel to right or use my feet to push on the deck to twist it clockwise, the blades speed up and will cut through anything. I just replaced the tensioner pulley, spring, both belts, sharpened blades, and greased all the spindles. Looking at a different thread it sounds like my deck might be sprung and the spindles are binding? Deck part number is 78345.

Edited by Hondadirtracer

slammer302

Sounds like the mule drive belt needs tightened or replacement or the PTO clutch needs tightened up.

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

When you get in the high grass and the blades stop,  You should be able to see if the PTO slowed down or if the belt is slipping on the PTO.   If you leave it sit for any length  of time  under this condition, you should see the belt smoking.

Like Slammer said, you probably just need to tighten the mule drive.        Also make sure the deck is engaged fully on both sides of  mid mount and the yoke on the deck rod  is hooked on the attach-a-matic rod.

• Like 2

nylyon
  1. Deck fork not positioned on rod at mid mount point
  2. Deck drive belt too loose
  3. PTO not tight enough
  • Like 1

doc724

It is difficult to tell if the PTO bell is slowing down as there are no markings on it.  Years ago, I painted a white axial stripe on the bell primarily to tell if it was stopped when the PTO  lever was in the off position

• Like 2

Thisguyisnew

Check bearings on idler pulleys on your mule drive as well.

obone

When I had a problem of the mule drive not being tight enough the bell would get very hot. Also do you have the belt on the correct spot? Should be on the inside closet to the engine.

Hondadirtracer

Got my mower lift put together today so I lifted it up to check under the deck. The lift arm was rubbing on the middle spindle zerk fitting. So when I was turning right or pushing on the deck it was moving enough to stop rubbing. Tossed a couple extra washers on it and it cut like a champ.

• Like 2

Tankman

Perhaps your Horse just wants to head back to his stall? Getting tired of all "your" weedy grass?

Did you try a hackamore bit on your Stallion?

Horseback riding in Oklahoma, years ago, every time I headed back the Stallion would race to "his" barn and "his" oats.  :ROTF:

ride-a-horse.gif

Edited by Tankman