Tgtack

Can I remove these bolts?

Tgtack

On the top of my Kohler 12 hp engine, there is a bracket for the generator that appears to be held down by two head bolts. Can I safely remove those two bolts to remove the bracket and the tin on top of the engine to repaint them? Or will this mess up the head gasket?

s-l1600.jpg

Edited by Tgtack
  • Like 2

stevasaurus

Absolutely, just re-torque afterwards.  The 8hp Kohlers have threaded blanks in those 2 spots with nuts so you can do that with out torquing.  :)

• Like 6

squonk

If it were me, I would remove the entire head. For an extra 20 bucks you get a new gasket and you can clean all of the carbunkles out of the head chamber and get a birds eye view of the condition of the cly. walls. :banana-wrench:

• Like 5

953 nut
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

just re-torque afterwards

Torque them cold and then run the engine and hot torque just as you would after a gasket replacement.

• Like 6

Tgtack

I plan on doing an overhaul on this engine this fall, just want to make her a little more presentable for the show. Mine looks no where near as nice as the picture I posted. So will probably skip the head gasket for now if I can pull the two bolts without messing up the gasket. Only have about 25 days to get her done and still have to finish repairing the frame. Fortunately am off work all next week!

• Like 2

clueless
12 hours ago, Tgtack said:

I plan on doing an overhaul on this engine this fall, just want to make her a little more presentable for the show. Mine looks no where near as nice as the picture I posted. So will probably skip the head gasket for now if I can pull the two bolts without messing up the gasket. Only have about 25 days to get her done and still have to finish repairing the frame. Fortunately am off work all next week!

You need to loosen all the head bolts before you take the two out, then re-torque them when your finished.  

• Like 2

953 nut
9 hours ago, clueless said:

You need to loosen all the head bolts before you take the two out, then re-torque them when your finished.  

Probably a good idea, but I have done a couple of head bolts to remove a gas tank and re-torque then hot torque and got away with it.     :hide:  Rather be lucky than good any day.

• Like 2

jnbimplements

You can remove the two head bolts and it won't cause any problems. These engines aren't trying to move 2-35 tons like cars and big trucks on the roads today.