BigRed84

314-H Rims

BigRed84

Good morning all,

Has anyone had first hand experience or know if it's o.k. to swap front rims on a late 90's 314-H?  I want to put the Deestone 4-8.00 tri rib on, but currently have the wide 6" rim.  I know people have put the narrow tire on the wide rim, but I don't like how it stretches the sidewall so I would rather just buy the proper narrow rim.  Can it still be done?  Does anyone know the diameter of the bearing hole (assuming there's a bearing in there) for the mounting point, and will the "axle" be too wide with the narrow rim on it?  Thanks for any help with this.  My fronts are dry rotted beyond belief and I have a big project coming up so I was hoping to order whatever I needed today.

Thanks again!

Edited by BigRed84

nylyon

There's a difference in the front axles between the 6" and 8" wheels.  You can put 8" wheels on, but should change out the front axles.  I don't know if the axle diameter is different, but the length is, the 6" axles  are longer.

gwest_ca

I'm just repeating what Karl said but using different names.

The wheel spindles were the same on one I did but the king pin so to speak that goes up through the cast iron axle is shorter for the 8" diameter wheels. This keeps the ride height of the tractor the same. The only restriction with the 8" wheels is they will contact the front left of a 37" side discharge 2-blade deck.

I swapped between a 1977 C-Series and a 1990 312-8.

Garry

BigRed84

I may not have explained the sizes properly.  I currently have the 8" rim...the current tire sidewall reads "16 x 6.50 - 8".  If I'm not confusing myself, read like a car tire, 16 is the overall diameter of the tire, 6.50 is the width, and 8" is rim diameter.  So I would like to use a narrow front tire, and Miller has the 4-8 deestones, and they also have a steel wheel that is 3.75" wide by the same 8" diameter I currently have.  Says "3 inch hub and 3/4" bearing".  That's the part I'm not sure if it would fit my current axle or not.  Do the wheel horse axles have a standard size of 3/4" or does it vary?  I'll obviously check when I get home tonight but was hoping to get a jump on shipping today. 

Achto
51 minutes ago, BigRed84 said:

I may not have explained the sizes properly.  I currently have the 8" rim...the current tire sidewall reads "16 x 6.50 - 8".  If I'm not confusing myself, read like a car tire, 16 is the overall diameter of the tire, 6.50 is the width, and 8" is rim diameter.  So I would like to use a narrow front tire, and Miller has the 4-8 deestones, and they also have a steel wheel that is 3.75" wide by the same 8" diameter I currently have.  Says "3 inch hub and 3/4" bearing".  That's the part I'm not sure if it would fit my current axle or not.  Do the wheel horse axles have a standard size of 3/4" or does it vary?  I'll obviously check when I get home tonight but was hoping to get a jump on shipping today. 

Most rims use a 1 3/8" o.d. bearing. What you'll really need to pay attention to is the length of the hub on the rim. If it is shorter than your axel you will need to shim the axel to make up the space. If the hub is longer than the axel you will have to make the hub shorter in order to fit it on the axel. 

Edited by Achto