13HemiRam

1984 C-175 repower question

13HemiRam

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and have been using for research for a few months so I figured I'd sign up!

I just picked up a fairly nice 1984 C-175 auto with the kt17. Unfortunately it has some rod knock. My question is, how much work would be involved in swapping a k241 10hp kohler from a 1985 310-8 that I have sitting around? Is this a doable swap? I know I'll have to remove the mounting plate and probably rigid mount the motor to the frame (it looks like there are mounting holes in the frame in the same location as the 310). Is this worth it to use a 10hp or should I try to find a different engine, say a 16hp k series? I have a raider 12 swapped with a rebuilt 16hp and a C-100 also so I'm pretty familiar with the k series and I'd like to stick with that if possible. Any info is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

-Justin

The 175 and the possible 310 donor

IMG_2882.JPG

IMG_2838.thumb.JPG.9627b90227c49a1c15402222394345cf.JPG

Edited by 13HemiRam
Pics
  • Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

Love them Black Hoods!

Folks will be along shortly who can answer your Q's...

953 nut

:WRS:   Having both tractors right there makes this a simple swap. If the "C" is an eight speed you can use the engine pulley and all from the 310, if it is a hydro you will need to get a larger drive pulley (A-Z Tractor can hook you up) and use the 310 PTO on it. Put the twin cylinder Kohler on the classifieds here and someone will come along who needs one to rebuild.

• Like 3

13HemiRam

Is there a difference in the two pto's? Between the one on the 310 and the one on the c175? They look almost identical. And yes the c175 is automatic and the 310 is an 8 speed

Racinbob

The differences will be in the brackets mounting it to the engine. Assuming the 310 is complete you have all the parts so no worries. As you mentioned, you will mount the 10hp directly to the frame. That's the preferred method. If you don't already know, the right side mounting bolts come up from under the frame. It will be a real straight forward swap. :)

• Like 1

953 nut
5 hours ago, 13HemiRam said:

Is there a difference in the two pto's? Between the one on the 310 and the one on the c175? They look almost identical. And yes the c175 is automatic and the 310 is an 8 speed

The crank shaft on the two engines may not be the same size. Also as Bob said the attachment to the engine isn't the same.

13HemiRam
On 5/22/2017 at 6:34 AM, 953 nut said:

:WRS:   Having both tractors right there makes this a simple swap. If the "C" is an eight speed you can use the engine pulley and all from the 310, if it is a hydro you will need to get a larger drive pulley (A-Z Tractor can hook you up) and use the 310 PTO on it. Put the twin cylinder Kohler on the classifieds here and someone will come along who needs one to rebuild.

Just curious why a larger drive pulley is needed because it's hydro and is it the drive pulley on the engine or on the hydro pump?

953 nut

Not a hydro engineer, but I believe the reason for a larger engine pulley is the design requirements of the pump and for cooling.

13HemiRam

That makes sense. I guess if the other engine has a smaller pulley it would spin the pump too fast

EricF

Other way 'round, actually. The smaller pulley moves the belt a shorter distance (slower) for every engine revolution. The larger pulley moves the belt faster, to spin the hydro pump and fan a little faster.

• Like 2

13HemiRam

Oh wow I should have known that! Duh! Anyways, I'm hoping to get started soon on getting things swapped over. I'm sure I'll have some more questions but I should be off to a good start for now. Thanks guys!

• Like 2

13HemiRam

I noticed this on the side of the engine while I was trying to get the drive pulley off the 310. It looks as if someone already swapped a 12hp onto the 310 at some point

IMG_3060.JPG

Another question...I got one of the set screws out of the drive pulley and the other one was already part way out and the head is stripped so I can't do anything g else with it at the moment...what's the best way to go about this?

oldredrider

The K301 on the block does NOT indicate that it is a 12hp. It means it COULD be bored to 12hp specs. Streamlining casting costs for Kohler is the reason for it.

As for the stripped head on the set screw, you MAY be able to drive (hammer) a larger size Torx head wrench into it and remove it that way. I recommend you soak it long and well with a good penetrating fluid...NOT WD-40. Use Kroil, PB Blaster or BG Inforce.