kto434

Onan P216 Breather Pack

kto434

What kind of solvent should I use to clean the mesh breather pack?  I am new to Onans.  Thanks!  Van

Jerry77

Page 05-4 talks about this...it just says a safe solvent - i have never done mine, so  I would probably just use a degreaser - strong soap like liquid dawn and water, or paint thinner - others will probably chime in on what to use...the link will clue you in on a lot of what you need to know for your Onan.  :)

http://www.mytractorforum.com/images/reference/Onan_16_18_20_24.pdf

WVHillbilly520H

Brake cleaner is what I use,  it cleans the all the oil and gunk and dies quickly without leaving any residue to harm the engine, Jeff.

• Like 2

Kurt-NEPA
31 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Brake cleaner is what I use,  it cleans the all the oil and gunk and dies quickly without leaving any residue to harm the engine, Jeff.

Plus 1 on Brake Cleaner.  I use it outside.  Put a catch pan under and spay.  Might have to do it a few times and several cans to get things clean.  Let everything evaporate off, might take a bit to get it out of the mesh.  Be careful of Brake Clean, it eats a lot of plastic and is hard on the eyes. 

• Like 2

kto434

Thanks guys!  I will try brake cleaner.  The pack "looks" very clean to my untrained eye, but guess it could be dirty inside the pack.

Tankman

Was thinking, "Clean the breather on my '90 520-8."  Purely just maintenance, something to do on a rainy day with the "busy" grandsons.

Is this on the Onan Preventative Maintenance "to-do" list?  :think:

lynnmor
1 hour ago, Tankman said:

Was thinking, "Clean the breather on my '90 520-8."  Purely just maintenance, something to do on a rainy day with the "busy" grandsons.

Is this on the Onan Preventative Maintenance "to-do" list?  :think:

It's right there in the Wheel Horse owners manual.  After checking mine a few times and finding nothing, it will be a long time before I do it again.

• Like 1

Tankman

Guess I over looked that detail in the owners manual. Just thought, perhaps. :blink: