kto434

Onan P216 Electrical Help

kto434

I got an Onan-powered 416-8 recently with goobered up (aka PO "customized") wiring.  I do not need to rewire it to specs with all the safety switches and warning lights/guages.  This is my first Onan twin so I am still learning.  Can someone send me a basic (hand drawn even) wiring diagram showing how to hook up just enough so it will start/run/shut off?  I sure appreciate any help/suggestions.  I have a wanted ad placed in the classified section for a complete wiring harness, but I think instead I want to keep the wiring bare bones.  Thanks, Van

gwest_ca

This one may help. Each circuit has it's own diagram.

Garry

• Like 1

kto434

Thanks, Garry!  The diagrams for each circuit helps a lot.  I appreciate you help.  Van

kto434

Garry, using the info you provided, I was able to get the tractor's start, spark, and charge circuits functioning and the tractor running again.  Thanks so much for your help!  Van

• Like 1

kto434

With your help I got it running--sorry for poor pics quality

I removed all wiring.  Then rewired the starting circuit.  Then the spark circuit.  Then the charging circuit.  I found the RR was not functioning so purchased an aftermarket replacement which works great so far.  Next is to wire in the voltmeter.

IMG_9818.JPG

IMG_9819.JPG

IMG_9820.JPG

Edited by kto434

6bg6ga

Well, it ain't pretty but you got it to run. I can't say I like the taped connections. Heat shrink would have made your wiring job look better and possibly hold up longer. Tape after time starts coming loose and then the connection you were trying  to safe guard is now open to possible shorting or grounding conditions. If it were me I would have gotten the harness length to various components and cable tied the wiring together. once the length was determined and wires labeled I would have installed the proper connectors along with heat shrink tubing. The end result would have been put in a plastic split tubing.

kto434

I may (probably will) rewire as you recommend/suggest (I appreciate your help) now I know the tractor runs/operates (I've mowed my 3/4 acre yard twice with it) and how to do the wiring.  This project has been, for me (with very little mechanicking experience) a big project.  I would like to clean up the wiring as you suggest.  If I do so I'll post a few updated pics.  I need to learn some of the wiring techniques you mention.  Take care and thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions--much appreciated!  Van

6bg6ga
8 hours ago, kto434 said:

I may (probably will) rewire as you recommend/suggest (I appreciate your help) now I know the tractor runs/operates (I've mowed my 3/4 acre yard twice with it) and how to do the wiring.  This project has been, for me (with very little mechanicking experience) a big project.  I would like to clean up the wiring as you suggest.  If I do so I'll post a few updated pics.  I need to learn some of the wiring techniques you mention.  Take care and thanks for everyone's helpful suggestions--much appreciated!  Van

First of all I hope I didn't upset you with my post.  You have a nice machine there. I made some suggestions that I think will enable you to have a wiring loom that will make others wish you made them one.  I realize it takes some time to do it but when your done you will look back and admire it and maybe others will contact you wanting you to make them one. Companies like MCM electronics have a plastic split type covering like cars have and it makes a very functional and attractive way to finish up a hand made harness. I've done whole cars with it.  Generally a piece of 4X8 plywood serves as a nice fixture  to lay out the different branches of wiring much like the branches of a tree.

kto434

Oh gosh, not upset at all (quite the contrary as I truly appreciate your recommendations/suggestions).  I learn so much from you all and thank you for sharing your knowledge/experience.  I will post some updated pics after I clean up the wiring--may be a while.  Take care and thanks to all who have helped me.  Van

6bg6ga

If I may I would suggest putting label markers/numbers on the present wiring. Cable tie it where you can to keep it together. Get an idea of the twists and turns and put nails on a sheet of plywood so you can make a duplicate of the  working one. You can once you have it laid out on the plywood reinstall it on your tractor and work on your 2nd loom when time permits and you have the terminals and heat shrink tubing. One cautionary note is don't use a cigarette lighter to heat the shrink tubing but do borrow when the wife isn't looking her hand held hair dryer. The very best tool for terminals is a K&B crimp tool because it puts an indent into the terminal instead of flattening it out like most tools do. Once you have your heat shrink tubing on and terminal on you can go one step further and apply a bit of solder at the end of the tube that you crimp near the spade or ring portion of the terminal. This will insure that you have a great connection without any frayed ends sticking out and the connection is able to deal with the elements better.