nylyon

Can't raise mower deck all the way

nylyon

After getting the new 42" RD deck and putting it on my 416, I took the old 42" RD deck and put it on my 312-8.   

The deck should raise until the rubber bumpers touch the foot boards, however I can't adjust the trunion enough to get it there. When I adjust, the lift bar hits the steering shaft and can't go any higher.  I'm at a loss why this is happening?   I can get pictures after the Danbury meet and greet.

AMC RULES

:rolleyes: Make any progress Karl?  :confusion-shrug:

nylyon

No, didn't get pictures yet, but I saw Stevebo's has the same issue.

doc724

As does mine.  I had all but given up cutting the grass on the highest setting when I simply moved the deck mowing adjustment lever and up it came.  I will say, then when I originally bought it, the PO had the trunion which is attached to the lift chain so high, I had difficulty getting the deck off the machine.  On my 314 with manual lift and 42 SD deck, I can raise that deck a  lot higher and lock it in place.  Not for certain, but I don't think I have even been successful in adjusting any of my horses so the rubber bumpers touch the floor boards. :-(

nylyon

My 416-H the rubber bumpers touch, I think the 414-8 does too.  Odd that the 312 doesn't, always thought that the lifts were the same.

can whlvr

I too have some that go up high and some don't,i just put a newer 48 sd on a 414 and it lifts really high

nylyon

Yup, my 414 works what I consider properly. Maybe I'll have some time this weekend to look into this a little more.

nylyon

An oldie but a goodie, the 416-8 is having a similar issue as the old 312 did. Anyone ever figure this out? I’ll try to get pictures of what is happening tomorrow

nylyon

Ya know, come to think of it, the 312 and 416 are both 1995’s, wonder if something happened that year?

Bill D

Is the leveling rod on the deck in the top or bottom hole on the gauge wheel bar?  Is does seem to affect stuff like this.  Should be the bottom hole.  Also, which hole is the deck lift trunnion in on the rock shaft lift bracket?  Should be the one closest to the rock shaft.  If it not then move it in and try again.

Brockport Bill

curious to open R.Sq. tonite and see this thread because  just today i was online looking at the diagrams for the 42 rd versus the 36 rd versus the 42 sd -- i mistakenly tried to install a rear leveling rod with its trunion from a 42SD onto a 42 RD only to realize the obvious which is the SD rod does not fit on the RD  - - its too long. In fact, the leveling rod for both the 36rd and 42rd is considerable shorter, thus the entire lift assembly adjusts very differently than the SD models --  i am not sure this in anyway this relates to the issue you are discussing but wanted to share  this perspective since the rear rod controls how the lift carriage assembly works and moves and how it connects to the lift arm.

• Like 1

nylyon

Thank you for that, I don’t think that is the case.  The original post I used the OEM deck that came with my 416H which raised properly on the 416H but not the 312. I am digging more into it today, hope to get some pictures

• Like 1

nylyon
7 hours ago, Bill D said:

Is the leveling rod on the deck in the top or bottom hole on the gauge wheel bar?  Is does seem to affect stuff like this.  Should be the bottom hole.  Also, which hole is the deck lift trunnion in on the rock shaft lift bracket?  Should be the one closest to the rock shaft.  If it not then move it in and try again.

I’m planning on digging in this morning, will check those things

• Like 2

nylyon

To the new deck on hydro works perfect on the hydro.  So I put that on the 8-speed and I was able to lift all the way, so I made some deck adjustments and it’s better, not perfect, but better.

• Like 2