520hC-120

Tractor won't go in gear at all

520hC-120

I was mowing my lawn on a steep part of my hill when I heard this grinding noise come from the trannie. When it stopped rolling I put it in forward, and reverse not a thing happened. I towed up the hill with fourwheeler to look at it. Nothing in the connection is broken and all belts are on tight. I am hoping nothing very serious is needed ( new trannie, rebuild . This happened to my 520H

daveoman1966

The word 'grinding' does not translate to positive anything....  Jack up the greabox and turn one wheel while holding the other stable....  what happens?????    

• Like 2

nylyon

Check to see if the axle is turning, sometimes the woodruff key shears and the axle just turns in the hub.

• Like 3

Racinbob

Check the simple things first. Assuming you're talking about a C-120 make sure the hi/lo shifter is fully engaged. If it was partially engaged and slipped out under the load some grinding may be heard momentarily. If that's ok then there are 3 keys to check which any one of them would cause your problem. The two rear wheel hubs and the input pulley. Remember, only one hub key sheared would stop the tractor. :)

Edited by Racinbob
  • Like 4

520hC-120

When I hold one wheel and turn the other the one that

I'm not holding it spins

Edited by 520hC-120

nylyon

Since it's a 520H, does the hydraulic lift work? (Check hydro oil to be sure its full)

If not check that the pulley is turning the shaft.  If it is, then there is likely internal damage and you'll have to disassemble it.

If the input shaft doesn't turn, then the woodruff key on the input pulley sheered (not likely though)

If the hydraulic lift works, then:

With the tractor on the ground, chock the front wheels, engine running, have someone move the motion control lever forward, observe the axles (not the wheels or hubs) do they turn? If the axles turn, replace the woodruff keys, if they do not then you'll likely have to disassemble to see what is wrong

• Like 2

Racinbob

My apologies. I assumed you were talking about the C-120 and also assumed you were talking about an 8 speed. I totally missed the last sentence in your first post. Forget about 90% of what I said and I'm not up on hydros so I'm about useless helping you :wacko:

:)

nylyon

Troubleshoot this quickly, there's an Eaton 1100 in the classifieds now for a good price if you need one!