Team70R

How much weight on your disc?

Team70R

Got the garden finally disced up.. had to ride on it while the old man tugged us along on the 606 :D never thought it would take that much weight. Anyone else have to heavily weight?

Tim.0

Depending on how hard your ground is, yes a disc will take or need extra weight at times. I use a single row disc (10 or 12 feet) after I plow and end up going over the ground several times with a disc. I still have problems with some of the sod and roots when I plant. Also I am packing down the soil some, more than I want by driving over several times.  Next time I disc am going to try and put couple pieces of cut concrete wall I have on the disc. Should be about 600 to 800 lbs .

I am using a tractor and I use a 2 bottom plow to plow with, but basically same principle with the disc. I have fine soil or clay soil.

If I just pull the disc without plowing I only go down couple inches and I don't have power down. With my heavy soil really will not do much.

If you have real coarse soil (sand) You might be able to get away without weight on the disc.

Hope this helps Tim O

• Like 1

Team70R

I'm a light 150 and it's about a 3 foot disc. Need a little more lead in my pants haha

• Like 1

doc724

I never had much luck with WH discs.  They are too small and too light to break the clods.  Now I use a tiller.

• Like 3

slim67

I put a 100 lb piece of steel on mine and that did the trick.

• Like 2

Sarge

I use 2 concrete blocks on the Agri-Fab disk I have , but at that weight level it really pushes the rear hitch cables to the limit when lifting the dumb thing - it just sticks out too far .

Sarge

• Like 2

Team70R
2 hours ago, Sarge said:

I use 2 concrete blocks on the Agri-Fab disk I have , but at that weight level it really pushes the rear hitch cables to the limit when lifting the dumb thing - it just sticks out too far .

Sarge

That was my problem Sarge! Too much weight for the lift cable. 

• Like 1

JPWH

This is why I built the hydraulic lift for my Raider. I had a hernia operation and could no longer lift the weight. The plus side is I also gained down pressure so no more weights.