Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsepuller

My Wheelhorse

TT

That's why I made sure to get 2 ply Carlisles for the C-161. I really like to see those sidewalls WRINKLE! :D

Now if I could only hook it on to a sled instead of a drawbar tug-of-war with one of my other tractors.

(don't forget the old-school sharpening trick either -- hook it up to something solid, put it in reverse, and let it sit there and spin until the back of the "bars" wear down lower than the front edge. :P )

Curmudgeon

I've always found it interesting how some people like to see the sidewalls wrinkle. It sure works in wrinkle wall slicks, as they were designed to. But to watch a pull, some do, some don't, and I don't see either really having an advantage.

Like so many things, it's all in what works for the individual I guess.

And HEY! Never heard of that reverse trick, but I like it!!

Dale

wheelhorsepuller

That was the reason I screwed my tires to the rims, then I can drop the air pressure down until I have the entire tread pattern on the ground during a pull..

I've had my tires down to 4 lbs during a pull, and they wrinkled a little, not much. But then again I'm not putting much power to the ground.

TT

I've always found it interesting how some people like to see the sidewalls wrinkle. It sure works in wrinkle wall slicks, as they were designed to. But to watch a pull, some do, some don't, and I don't see either really having an advantage.

I really think it all depends on where the "ballast" weight is placed, Dale. 80% of the guys around here that pull stock or super stock will run big wheel weights. (That's fine because wheel speed is low) If it's a "sticky" track, you can air up the tires to around 8 - 10 pounds and do pretty good.

Whenever the clay is hard (like blacktop) it seems like 5 - 6 pounds (and a little sidewall wrinkle) makes a good hook.

Of course every track (and tractor) is different, and I've seen a few guys running turf tires on hard clay outpull some "nasty" tractors with AG treads! :D

I just hope I get a chance to get my C-161 in front of a sled this year. It's pretty bad when it was built almost two years ago to pull -- and it hasn't got to yet. :P

As far as that tire sharpening trick goes, you can also swap sides (so they're on facing backwards) and hook the rear to a tree or a pole close to a blacktop driveway, etc. (preferably at your neighbors :( ) That way you can use a faster gear, and it will pull down a little tighter on the tires.

combatmp29r

Hey Nick, how do you like the industrial tread? I've got their big brothers on the V18. We've used them on the farm and construction with out issue, but those things are alot heavier too.

CommandoV18wheeliebars3.jpg

Curmudgeon

One thing I've noticed though, and yes it does work anyway for some guys. Get the air down to next to nothing, wrinkle those side walls, and the center of the tread isn't pushed against the ground hard enough to make good contact. Follow the groove where you were spinning, and you might find a high spot where the center half of the tire had less traction than the sides.

Run a wide rim, get just as much of the tread on the ground, only at a higher pressure, with equal traction across the entire treadwidth.

That's the theory, and it works for some, not for others. But a lot of guys just think low pressure is the way to go. Well, it's ONE way to go, but not THE way to go.

Dale

TT

You're exactly right, Dale.

That's also why "work-worn" lug tires will usually out-dig a new pair. More tire contact on the ground with less flex in the bars. If you let some of the air out of a weighted tire, the liquid holds the center of the tread against the ground, and the sidewall wrinkles because of the added rotating resistance. (and torque)

If the track is smooth and compacted, a hard tire seems to work better. We pull on weather-beaten red clay/dirt over at the NAMA show (for fun only) and it is chisel plowed, broke up with a disc, and graded with a 3 point "reverse V" scraper blade. It seldom gets rolled, so there's always chunks and rough spots (especially if the farm tractors just pulled) and the lower PSI seems to help the tires mold to the track. A "solid" tire with no flex just runs up over the little humps and chunks and spins on the top of them. (Of course every track is different)

There are no standard rules or guidelines for this either -- just experience and seat time, and the knowledge of the way your tractor works.

I've even seen 6.00-12's out-pull 10.50's (on the right tractor) :D

CHARGER9AUTO

This was my first puller..but now just does service work around the house...

I sent the engine in to get machined.. The deck is milled .005 for zero deck height, the head is decked 007, three angle valve job. The intake valve is back cut and swirl polished, new .010 piston, new .010 under rod, crank ground and polished. All the ports have been enlarged , pocket ported and polished

here is some pictures after the machine work.. just click to enlarge

th_DSCF0083.jpg

th_DSCF0085-1.jpg

th_DSCF0086-1.jpg

th_DSCF0087.jpg

th_DSCF0088-1.jpg

Wheel Horse Puller, I think our tractors is equal my is for yard work and yours is set up for pulling I'm sorry if I've made you feel out place it won't happen again . Ben

wheelhorsepuller

Ben .. let it go.. everything is A-ok with me.. Lets just enjoy our tractors..

Mine is pretty much retired to pulling parade floats and the kids around the yard.. Now that I have got into Lawnmower racing, I won't have much time for pulling..

The wheelie bars are coming off.. and I'm going to look for a standard hitch to put it back to stock in case I find some implements.. any one have an extra.. mine got cut up to make the long high hitch...

CHARGER9AUTO

Ben .. let it go.. everything is A-ok with me.. Lets just enjoy our tractors..

Mine is pretty much retired to pulling parade floats and the kids around the yard.. Now that I have got into Lawnmower racing, I won't have much time for pulling..

The wheelie bars are coming off.. and I'm going to look for a standard hitch to put it back to stock in case I find some implements.. any one have an extra.. mine got cut up to make the long high hitch...

Jason, Yeah OK no harm done I like mine because it's the first tractor I purchased that Garage stored and well maintained . Ben

Nick

Joel, The industrial tires have done ok for me. They do a good job in dirt and gravel but on sod Im not sure if they dig in as well as normal ags.

combatmp29r

Nick, Thanks. I knew they did well on our backhoe and bobcat, but they also weigh 1000s of pounds. Mine are loaded with WWF and weigh about 90lbs each. I also picked up a set of cast iron wheel weights that will add another 100 to the rear. Its gonna be a play toy (at least till I see how useful it is and never get off it :D ), so we'll see how it does.