Emt260

520 H

Emt260

Hi everyone,

i went to look at a 520 H yesterday. Machine was in excellent condition, cut beautifully as well. Only problem I found was it would not stay in gear while I forward. It had to be held there. I didn't buy the machine because I was a lil gun shy when it comes to hydro pumps. Could this be a major problem and did I just let a good machine slip thrummy fingers or did I make the right call?  

WVHillbilly520H

You let a good (great) machine slip through your fingers, the motion control linkage needed a bit of adjusting, after 19 years with mine I bought new a nearly abused the hydro is still going strong and fine but hey that's just my :twocents-twocents:, and of course how well the unit was maintained through out its life fluid and filter changes ect, Jeff.

Edited by WVHillbilly520H
  • Like 4

Emt260

Thank you for your quick response. Any chance there is a video on how to fix this minor problem? I still have an opportunity to buy the machine.

WVHillbilly520H

It's all in the owners/operators manuals you can download from here for free, just need your Model/serial numbers for the exact year, but it's usually just the nut (on the gold tinted plate with large flat washer underneath) on the trunion/cam plate under the seat next to the trans dipstick that needs a little tightening, Jeff.

IMAG2022.jpg

Emt260

Thanks jeff, I am trying to see if I can get my hands on it. 

EricF

The pic above has the fender pan removed so you can see everything that's underneath. If you just tilt the seat forward on its hinge, the cam plate and tension nut is exposed and easy to get to through an access hole in the fender pan. All you have to do is make the big friction nut in the middle snug, so you can operate the hydro motion lever easily and have it stay in place when you let go. It's not an exact thing, just whatever you prefer.

If the lever action gets rough or tends to bind unless it's too loose, then make sure the cam plate isn't roughed up with surface oxidation. Mine was. I rubbed a tiny bit of grease along the metal-to-metal surfaces to "season" it by getting the grease worked into the surface, then wiped it all off so it wouldn't attract dirt -- just a tiny bit of film left. The action works really smooth now. In the future, a little bit of dry lubricant like a Teflon or graphite lube should keep it in good shape.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

The manual specs a force of 6 pounds to move the motion lever on page 12.

Garry

Duramax7man7

I agree. This nut has a friction washer underneath. Slight tightening of this nut can do wonders and make the lever nice a snug and stay in motion. 

IIRC, the manual states that it should take 5-6lbs of pressure to move the motion lever.

Motion_tension_nut.jpg