Sign in to follow this  
coolhandblack

Head Gasket?

coolhandblack

Hello all, I went out to get the Wheelhorse fired up because we had gotten a whopping inch and a half of snow...lol! Well anyways as I was getting it started I had the hood raised. Just before it fired fired up, I noticed what I assume was oil coming out around 2 of the Head bolts. You guys think its time for a new head gasket? Sorry for the newbee stuff but I woulda flunked outta mechanic class.

Teddy da Bear

That sounds like a correct guess.

pond195520032003

yes i believe you have it pegged :whistle: i would go ahead and clean any carbon build up aswell :whistle: make sure you use a piece of wood or a plastic scraper if you do as not to damage the head or piston :thumbs:

oldandred

Hello all, I went out to get the Wheelhorse fired up because we had gotten a whopping inch and a half of snow...lol! Well anyways as I was getting it started I had the hood raised. Just before it fired fired up, I noticed what I assume was oil coming out around 2 of the Head bolts. You guys think its time for a new head gasket? Sorry for the newbee stuff but I woulda flunked outta mechanic class.

just to add to what the other guys said make sure the head bolt holes are clean

and youre on your way

KyBlue

Just out of Curiosity... What are the chances of a head bolt breaking upon removal?

pfrederi

Just out of Curiosity... What are the chances of a head bolt breaking upon removal?

Probability of breaking is directly related to your level of need for the tractor to be back working quickly. :thumbs:

The head bolt torque on many Kohlers is about 30 ftlbs. I set my torque wrench for 5-10 lbs over that when I try to loosen the bolts. If they do not want to come I switch to an impact wrench on its lowest setting. The vibration usually frees them. Just pulling really hard on a socket wrench can break them. If you don't have an impact wrench use the magic juice of your choice (Kroil, PB Blaster etc.). Wait a day then try again. A couple sharp hits on the head of the bolt with a hammer and brass drift pin can also be helpful. Also if it is really fighting you try a sequence of tighten - loosen

TJ

After replacing the head gasket, and running the motor till it is warm, I always go back and check the torque on the head bolts.

coolhandblack

I went to NAPA to see if they had a head gasket for k301 and I was told they didnt... Guy didn't act like he want to help me very much. Anyone know of a good cheap source for a head gasket? I can order one on the net if need be.

KyBlue

I dont think Id be choosing a Cheap Head gasket.

The OE Kohler Gasket, is available from many places online, such as partstree.com and the Kohler Gasket for my K181 is like 7 bucks... While Putting a head gasket on isnt like it is on my Pickup.. its not really something I want to be doing Over again anytime Soon... Like a Drive belt...

KyBlue

Probability of breaking is directly related to your level of need for the tractor to be back working quickly. :thumbs:

The head bolt torque on many Kohlers is about 30 ftlbs. I set my torque wrench for 5-10 lbs over that when I try to loosen the bolts. If they do not want to come I switch to an impact wrench on its lowest setting. The vibration usually frees them. Just pulling really hard on a socket wrench can break them. If you don't have an impact wrench use the magic juice of your choice (Kroil, PB Blaster etc.). Wait a day then try again. A couple sharp hits on the head of the bolt with a hammer and brass drift pin can also be helpful. Also if it is really fighting you try a sequence of tighten - loosen

Yeah, Ive got the impact part covered. In fact just bought new batteries for the 18v Cordless one... 139.00!!!!!

I'll attempt to swap my head gasket in a week or so...Busy this weekend...building a ROOF!

sorekiwi

I got a genuine Kohler gasket set from Napa about a month ago. It was for a K181, but I would imagine they'd have a listing for a big block too. Parts are listed in their small engine catalog.

Actually here it is: http://www.napaonline.com/NOLPPSE/(S(qw4ip...2403_0215386838

My local Napa doesnt usually have small engine stuff in stock, but usually get it in the same day...

Buzz

You don't have to get the head gasket from a Wheel Horse dealer or NAPA. Almost any decent sized small engine repair shop or garden tractor dealer should have it or be able to get it for you. With the price of gas, let your fingers do the walking for you, use the Yellow Pages to find a dealer nearby. The part number for the head gasket for your K301 is 237658 (old number) or 47 041 10 (new number).

Call and ask if they have one.

TT

The part number for the head gasket for your K301 is 237658 (old number) or 47 041 10 (new number).

Actually, the newest part number is 47 041 15-S. :thumbs:

Depending on the seller/dealer, it should be anywhere from 9 to 12 dollars.

Buzz

Actually, the newest part number is 47 041 15-S. :whistle:

Just out of curiousity TT where did you get the newest number? :whistle: I went on the Kohler site and that's what they had listed for a K301S-4712B engine. Or is that one of those trade secrets that if you told me you'd have to kill me........ :dunno: :thumbs:

TT

I checked it @ PartsTree, Buzz.

They're usually real good at updating to the last known supercession and the current list price.

rick

Genuine Kohler parts can be purchased from NAPA, they are listed in their Power Equipment Service Parts catalog, PEP-8. Prices are reasonable, especially if you have a dealer account, plus no freight charges if ordered on a stock order....

coolhandblack

Well I thought that Id give O'reily's a try. Went in a they were way more helpful then the guy from napa. This guy pulled out the book and ordered me one. Said it'd be here tuesday and it was only like 4 dollars....I would have just went to a small engine place or something like that but there arent any close. As far as dealers there is a John Deere dealer close by but thats it.

sorekiwi

JD's used Kohlers too...

catman81056

I've had to re-torque the head bolts on my D 3 different times before they "seated". You might give it a try to see if yours have backed off some.

WheelHorse_of_course

And don't forget to use Anti-seize on those bolts when you put ti back together.

:thumbs: