RJ Hamner

5010 transmission Questions/Help

RJ Hamner

Finally found an undamaged 5010 case at A-Z. (bare bones).  The one I had repaired couldn't hold its fluid.  so to speak.

Got the idler out of the repaired one and in the new one with no problems.  The shift forks gave me some grief till I figured out that the pins can be accessed thru the shifter hole. (no mention of that in the manual)

Now the 2 questions:  (1)  Am I right in assuming (yea I know) that the holes for the pins are drilled so that the forks can only be put on one way?

(2)  The order of assembly of the two balls, pin and spring.  Is it ball, spring/pin, ball in the center of the two shift forks?? The only mention in the manual is "don't loose them when they fall out"

There is  part 21/#1243 cup plug 5/16???  (I drove what looked to be a roll pin out but I can't find it??????)  Is it just a roll pin??

Thanks

Bob

oliver2-44

Search for the thread by @stevasaurus "So you want to save that 3 Piece Transmission"   He answered that exact question for me and it has some good pictures.  It's a great thread to reference for reassembly

• Like 3

Racinbob

To avoid my horribly slow typing here's the thread for you. :)

The only difference between the 5007 and 5010 transmissions are irrelevant to your questions.

• Like 3

RJ Hamner

I watched the video twice last night. Unless I really missed it Steve never takes the shift forks out (I wouldn't if I didn't have to)

But never let it be said that I let instructions stand in the way of a project.:violence-blades:

The shift forks are in (yes they CAN be put in backwards - glad I have a big box of roll pins) complete with the balls, spring,pin and the "cap" that I found in the rag I used to mop up the excess tranny fluid.:D

• Like 2

Racinbob

:handgestures-thumbupright::handgestures-thumbupright: It sounds like you're well on your way to becoming a transmission guru. :banana-wrench:

stevasaurus

The pictures and the explanation of doing the shift rails and forks is at the very end of the long thread "so you want to save..."  The 2 forks are the same, but they can be put in wrong, upside down, or backwards.  It does take a little looking at.  The big transmission manual does explain the process in "Section I".  :)

Click on this link right below.

492-4004.pdf

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

stevasaurus

That #1243 cup plug is just that...it is not a roll pin.  You can buy these plugs at ACE and such.  It is just to seal that hole.  You could use a dab of silicone calk and be fine.  :)

RJ Hamner

I got everything scrubbed and dried, the gaskets are all made so unless something out of the ordinary happens I'll put everything back together tomorrow

I really do try to use the manuals but sometimes the figures are so fuzzy (copy of a copy of a copy) its hard to make heads or tails out of it.

I really appreciate all the help and input

Thanks

Bob