turtlehead

Bendix not engaging

Ok folks, here's the deal. So far this mowing season, I've had trouble starting the 416-8. M16S- 711523 engine. Serial # 1624708914.

Turn key, bendix spins fast, as it should, but doesn't engage flywheel. Hook up charger on full for few minutes, and will finally engage but spin slow( w/ chargerer still hooked on. Thought battery was weak. Took battery out. Found positive cable eye eaten away so barely hanging on terminal. Battery tested at 12.4v on bench.

You think the week connection at terminal would cause this or look to starter??

9 minutes ago, turtlehead said:

terminal would cause this or look to starter

I think both should be looked at. With any electrical problem ALL electrical connections including grounds should be cleaned and tightened.

The bendix drive on the starter should be cleaned and use some dry graphite lubricant on it. be sure it tests good on the bench before you put it back in.

• Like 1

Bad connection will do it. The rpm of the starter is what throws the Bendix gear into the flywheel. Dust and dirt on the armature shaft can slow down or prevent the Bendix gear from advancing to the flywheel also.

When the flywheel speed exceeds the starter/Bendix gear speed it throws the Bendix gear back to the starter.

The Bendix gear travels on a twisted spline of the armature.

Garry

• Like 2

12.4 is not fully charged...12.6 is.

Well, I guess I got some work to do. I'll tell the grass to stop growing for a while.

• Like 1

Also, lubricating the Shaft - - - WD-40 will help loosen the shaft temporarily and dislodge the crud binding it up, slowing down its engagement, but that WD-40 will not last, and it does not lubricate.  

We need to grease that shaft so it can move easily.

If the cable end was rotted away just cleaning may not be enough as the corrosion can travel up the wire strands under the insulation.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Postal
      I recently acquired a Kohler K321PT. I want to put it on my Raider 10 but it has a recoil starter. My question is can I put an electric start on this motor and will it bolt up to my Raider 10 to replace the Tecumseh hh100
    • By GoBucks
      Since I bought this in April, I had one time when I went out and it wouldn't start, no turning over, just dead, but the battery etc was good. I looked around for awhile, didn't really do anything, and it just worked. It's been several months, and hasn't done that again until last week. I checked the battery again, looked for any loose wires, etc No luck. The gauges, test lights all come on.

How do I see if the starter is getting power? I saw the 2 big nuts, one has a wire, the other doesn't. There is also a small white push on type connector wire. Where do I check for 12Volts? Any other thoughts of possible suspect areas to check for a loose wire?

On a slightly related note, when I bought it, the headlights/taillights worked, by the time I trailered it home 3 hours, they didn't work, but everything else did,

Thanks,
      Sam
    • By Ford_red
      Hi All,

Am looking for a starter for my 314-8.  Anyone have an extra one?  May be at the show this weekend too.

Thanks!
    • By Lablan
      On a 1992-1996 520H wheel horse lawn tractor, I have replaced the starter motor and flywheel. I also replaced the coil, condenser, plugs and wires. After all that was done, the tractor started first time cranked and I mowed the 1 acre yard one time. When I went back to mow again it would not start and I see the starter motor is now chewing up the flywheel gears. The new flywheel now has severe burring on the engine side. It looks like the starter is not fully engaging into the flywheel. The mounting bolts have a thick washer. Are those washers supposed to be spacers between the engine and the starter motor, thus moving the nose of the starter closer in toward the flywheel? Am I doing something else wrong?

• By jackhillbyron
      bendix is not engaging. just kind of spins.
      Whats the best approach to access it to clean it with some spray white grease?
      If I take engine shroud off, can I get at it where it attaches to flywheel or do I have to take it completely off?
      Seems like the oil fill tube will need to be removed first if I have to take it off.
      Does this mean draining the oil?
      Or do i have to take engine off frame to get the starter off?

anybody been in this situation? the service manual is pretty vague on removing the starter?
      Thanks in advance