turtlehead

Bendix not engaging

turtlehead

Ok folks, here's the deal. So far this mowing season, I've had trouble starting the 416-8. M16S- 711523 engine. Serial # 1624708914.

Turn key, bendix spins fast, as it should, but doesn't engage flywheel. Hook up charger on full for few minutes, and will finally engage but spin slow( w/ chargerer still hooked on. Thought battery was weak. Took battery out. Found positive cable eye eaten away so barely hanging on terminal. Battery tested at 12.4v on bench.

You think the week connection at terminal would cause this or look to starter??

953 nut
9 minutes ago, turtlehead said:

terminal would cause this or look to starter

I think both should be looked at. With any electrical problem ALL electrical connections including grounds should be cleaned and tightened.

The bendix drive on the starter should be cleaned and use some dry graphite lubricant on it. be sure it tests good on the bench before you put it back in.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Bad connection will do it. The rpm of the starter is what throws the Bendix gear into the flywheel. Dust and dirt on the armature shaft can slow down or prevent the Bendix gear from advancing to the flywheel also.

When the flywheel speed exceeds the starter/Bendix gear speed it throws the Bendix gear back to the starter.

The Bendix gear travels on a twisted spline of the armature.

Garry

• Like 2

pfrederi

12.4 is not fully charged...12.6 is.

turtlehead

Well, I guess I got some work to do. I'll tell the grass to stop growing for a while.

• Like 1

GlenPettit

Also, lubricating the Shaft - - - WD-40 will help loosen the shaft temporarily and dislodge the crud binding it up, slowing down its engagement, but that WD-40 will not last, and it does not lubricate.  

We need to grease that shaft so it can move easily.

turtlehead

The bendix does move freely in and out by hand with very little resistance

pfrederi

If the cable end was rotted away just cleaning may not be enough as the corrosion can travel up the wire strands under the insulation.

• Like 1

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• Chuck14025
      By Chuck14025
      1994 520 H.   Starter just clicks.
      1. Battery 12.6V, load test OK.,    New solenoid. Ground good. Key switch tested ok. Wiring diagram shows a 'kill' relay - I can't find it on the tractor. Checked the 3 relays under the battery box - they work. Neutral switch, PTP and seat switch work mechanically. 
      2. Not able to find article on this problem when searching. There must be dozens. How do I find them?
      3. Can I test the starter without taking it out?
      4. Is there a 'kill' relay? 

thank you...

• ToroWheelHorseRookie
      By ToroWheelHorseRookie
      Please Help-- I inherited this work horse from my father in-law after being passed down from his father.  I recently brought my wheel horse in for repairs and the service shop said they were unable to find the part; starter/solenoid.  I did not want to give up on this beast as even the repair shop said this is a well made machine and is better than anything built today. I eventually found the part but because the shop left the part uninstalled I was unable to see how the starter was wired.  Yesterday,  I installed the new starter/solenoid but when I connected the battery terminals the tractor wanted to start on its own.  I quickly disconnected the terminals and analyzed the electrical schematic map but I am baffled on the proper wiring.  I only have a positive (red) battery terminal wire, another red wire, black (ground) wire, and a blue wire with a slot connection.  I included pictures of the starter and the electrical schematic map.  Any help would be much appreciated!! I l would like to fix this on my own as this seems to be a simple wiring issue.  I can add pictures of the tractor itself, but at the moment its under a tarp in a shed at night. Thank you in advance, Matt     

Electrical Guide.pdf
    • RJ Hamner
      By RJ Hamner
      Rebuilding a C160. everything worked prior to rebuild
      Engine was fairly high time so machined .020 over and rebuilt
      Finished rewiring and made sure all the circuits were in order
      Starter would spin the engine. Made new coil wire and installed new spark plug
      Starter won't turn the engine. Tried several times with and without spark plug Same results
      Starter was what I took off the tractor prior to rebuild but can't say it is orininal
      So.......Am I missing something or is a new starter going to be the answer?????
      Thoughts?  Ideas?
      All help/input appreciated
      BTW:  Don't know if it means anything but the gear does not retract when key is moved back to ON

Bob
    • Postal
      By Postal
      I recently acquired a Kohler K321PT. I want to put it on my Raider 10 but it has a recoil starter. My question is can I put an electric start on this motor and will it bolt up to my Raider 10 to replace the Tecumseh hh100
    • GoBucks
      By GoBucks
      Since I bought this in April, I had one time when I went out and it wouldn't start, no turning over, just dead, but the battery etc was good. I looked around for awhile, didn't really do anything, and it just worked. It's been several months, and hasn't done that again until last week. I checked the battery again, looked for any loose wires, etc No luck. The gauges, test lights all come on.

How do I see if the starter is getting power? I saw the 2 big nuts, one has a wire, the other doesn't. There is also a small white push on type connector wire. Where do I check for 12Volts? Any other thoughts of possible suspect areas to check for a loose wire?

On a slightly related note, when I bought it, the headlights/taillights worked, by the time I trailered it home 3 hours, they didn't work, but everything else did,

Thanks,
      Sam