cafoose

520-HC flywheel shroud removal

cafoose

Is there an easy way to remove the flywheel shroud on my 520-HC? I removed all the bolts I could find, the coil, and some linkages and I still had to twist and wrestle with it to get it off. :bitch::deadhorse:I'm going to replace the module under the flywheel because it won't start when hot. The coil is new and it runs better but the problem is still there.  I got the shroud off but not the flywheel yet. I had to stop because I had to go to work. I plan on finishing it tomorrow.

cleat

That is just one of those things that come off if you hold your mouth just right.

Going back on is the same way.

• Like 1

6bg6ga

A impact wrench would be nice to remove the center bolt but not necessary. Having gotten rid of my impact a long time ago I wrenched mine by hand but not without a few choice words. I ended up using a piece of apple wood to keep the flywheel from turning. Before others chime in here yes I know your not supposed to do it because you could break a cooling fin.

• Like 1

GMan

Guys,

Best way to hold the flywheel during removal is the use a pair of vicegrips on the ring gear up next to the governor arm support casting............Works every time! ........Gary

• Like 1

cafoose
3 hours ago, 6bg6ga said:

A impact wrench would be nice to remove the center bolt but not necessary. Having gotten rid of my impact a long time ago I wrenched mine by hand but not without a few choice words. I ended up using a piece of apple wood to keep the flywheel from turning. Before others chime in here yes I know your not supposed to do it because you could break a cooling fin.

I have an impact wrench both air and electric. :handgestures-thumbupright:

18 minutes ago, GMan said:

Guys,

Best way to hold the flywheel during removal is the use a pair of vicegrips on the ring gear up next to the governor arm support casting............Works every time! ........Gary

I'm planning on using the impact wrench to remove the flywheel. I was asking for tips on removing the shroud around it without bending and twisting things. :banana-wrench: