Stepney

Electro 12 reverse

Stepney

Hello all, another question. My old '68 Electro 12 rarely comes out anymore, the engine is very tired and burns more oil then gas. I changed the ATF 2 years ago along with a filter. For the last 5 years or so it's always been a little 'reluctant' to drive, with the engine at or near WOT a full advancement of the drive lever takes a few seconds to respond, and in reverse, it hardly moves up a ramp or whatever it might be your trying. I remember it all started when my father tried to drive it with the tow valve open. Is there anything that could be done to try and bring it back? It really hasn't gotten better or worse, but it's just a bit concerning when I do use it. I intend to rebuild it, at last, this summer.. 

For that matter, can a newer hydro from a B or C series be made to fit? I know I've heard somewhere people saying the newer pumps work better. 

pfrederi

Driving with the tow valve partly opened didn't hurt anything.  Most likely reason dirt and/or  metal chips from improper use of the parking brake has damaged the slippers, valve, plates etc.

A piston to piston Sundstrand unit from some C series would fit.   I have 4 Charger/Electros all hydro gears.  Haven't had any issues with any of them.  My D200 with a piston to piston lots of issues.  Used units i purchased (all from "Good Working Tractors")  all had issues some worse than the unit I was trying to replace.  I overhauled it my self.  There are several threads here about overhauling Sundstrand units.  You should down load the Sundstrand hydro manual from the manual section here to see what is involved.

One final note.  the gear motor in the hydro gear unit was not considered to be rebuildable.  it was repair by replacement.  You could over haul the pump part but if it was significantly damaged the gear part maybe also.

• Like 2

953 nut
7 hours ago, Stepney said:

I remember it all started when my father tried to drive it with the tow valve open. Is there anything that could be done to try and bring it back?

Like Paul said, download the manual and read it first. You car clean the area around the tow valve and loosen the valve body a bit to see if you can close it.

If you intend to replace the unit I would recommend you contact @A-Z Tractor or @Joes Outdoor Power. Both test and stand behind the parts they sell.