pacer

10" tires on front of a "Big D" (my D-160)

pacer

I want/need to change the front tires on my D-160, they were cobbled up from wheels/tires off an old Sears lawn tractor and are very dry rotted, and too small also.  Since I am going to replace them I would like to go up to 10" tires. Seems as tho some one here on the forum did this but of course I cant find it with search!

What I would like to find would be a tire and rim together, this way seems to lower the cost somewhat but limits selection. This D has 3/4" spindles and I can make hubs easily in my shop either in 4 or 5 bolt pattern. In prowling the web I found this set-up in trailer tires/rims but the tire is in "auto" appearance and I would prefer turf tread type tread, or the 4 wheeler cart type tread.

So .... any body recall seeing a 10" tire/rim combo like this? I realize I may have to get tire and rim separately -----

This old guy is my go to for the dirty work around here, despite its appearance its in very good condition -- that thing is like a Timex watch - "takes a liking and keeps on ticking"

IMG_3372.JPG

• Like 3

WVHillbilly520H

Something like this? Jeff.

Screenshot_20170515-104935.png

• Like 1

pacer

Yeah, I found those and is exactly what I would want, except -- I would prefer a more "tractor??" tread design

ACman

I found some rims for $50 and free shipping  [ TWO 10" RIMs WHEELs fits many Riding Lawn Mowers Garden tractor 10x8.5 5/4.5 P9 ] on that popular auction site . 

IMG_1776.JPG.544acc284243a59f471a6d9ed8ec3f8a.JPG

Thats pretty cheap for rims . Tire choice seems to be limited though from my research so far . If you stay with 8" rim you can stay with the bearings in wheel or upgrade to hub and you have quiet a few more options in tire selection :twocents-02cents: .

• Like 1

953 nut

I used a couple of stock trailer hubs (one inch axle) and a couple of 1" to 3/4" brass bushings to use trailer rims. Had to use a brake hone on the inside of the bushings to make them slip on to the spindles. 

• Like 1

"D"- Man

There was a topic posted on September 21st 2013 titled, Mods to a D-180 front spindles & axle change 3/4" to 1"  I could not get a search result via copy and paste, so I did a custom advanced search by plugging in 09/20/2013 to 09/22/2013 with the term front spindle.  Not sure if this is the post you were looking for though.

• Like 1

pacer

After MUCH searching on the web I have settled on this to get 10" tires on the front of the D-160. I will build the spindles to accept the hub - its really not that big a deal with a lathe, mill and welder. The 8.5" rims are shown as for a Kubota (thanks ACman!) and the 18x9.50-10 tires are from a cart site.

Should I leave that orange paint?? ---- NAH!, I cant do that!:rolleyes:

40309.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

Sarge

I stuck with the stock 8" wheels and upgraded to trailer spindles/wheels on mine with a heavier late model axle with 1" spindles . Made a huge difference , especially after adding full length bushings into the axle and all new bearing counter bores . Still need to rebuild the Ross box on it , but it steers so much easier and the v-bar tires on the front look pretty gnarly  . Oh , and also upgraded the front outers to heavy duty rod ends instead of tie rod ends , that really helped . I had considered going to 10-12" wheels , but I wanted to leave the option of running a belly deck and doubt that would leave enough clearance for it .

592196219bdc2_drivewaypic.thumb.jpg.c19e9c861cf3c00218a54bd59d278e00.jpg

5921964ec9161_drivewaypic2.thumb.jpg.6c77b78b0dd79c4634b7b0594cc6f0e9.jpg

I only regret buying those rear tires - American Farmer brand that look the part of the originals in 26x12x12 . Should have went with the taller 23* Firestone or an ag tread 29" to fill out the fenders . Got plenty of room for the tire chains though..lol .

Sarge

• Like 1